Should I be honest with my recruiter if I don't like the job he placed me in?

I was contacted by a recruiter about a job that was a step up from what I had been previously doing. So I left an amazing company where I felt like I could no longer move up, and into a company where I'm making more money but the job itself is boring and the culture is just not what I would've wanted.

I have a meeting with my recruiter to see how things are going. Should I tell him the truth, or will that somehow bite me?

• Hypnos
    Favorite Answer

Look the reality is, you're not always going to be working jobs you enjoy and if you want to move up in your career it takes time. Telling you recruiter won't change your position and if anything could work against you as they may find that you are ungrateful for the opportunity. Just stick it out for a while and if you are still unhappy in a few months ask your recruiter what you can do to progress to another position.

He could be understanding if you don't let on having thought somehow he could bite you.

• Judy

Are your job duties different than what you were told? That would be fair too ask about. Company culture is what it is, and complaints about that would likely bite you later.

i would tell him the truth

• Kyle

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to go forward into the position you really want.  assuming this isn't military related, you can say you enjoy the company, but you thought you would be doing more with you switching to the new company.  you don't have to say you don't like the job.  you can say what can you do to be considered for advancement opportunities, more responsibilities, take on more training, etc.  when you show initiative like that, it looks better than saying you like getting paid more, but the job is boring.

good luck.