Please help I don't know why I'm having trouble with this particular problem. A low tide is occurring at Phoenix, AZ (33°N, 112°W).?

(a) What other longitude is also experiencing a low tide?(b) What two longitudes are experiencing high tides?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • poldi2
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Arizona is not on an ocean, it can't experience tides.

• 3 weeks ago

...Is there even a body of water in Phoenix big enough to be impacted by tidal forces?

• Ron
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

(a) the other low tide is on the opposite side of Earth. 112W + 180 = 68E

(b) high tides occur in between: 22W and 158E

• 4 weeks ago

the idea is that the tides occur on opposite sides of the earth (an imaginary plane cut through the center of the earth, making a circle).  The opposite tides occur at 90 degrees (a plane perpendicular to the first one, making another circle).

You have to add 180 degrees to go from one side to the other.  subtract 112 from 180 to get the longitude on the opposite side (the value east-value west=180).  Often, we write X degrees west as -X degrees.  west is negative, east is positive.  Also north is positive and south is negative.

The opposite tide (the high tide happening when low tide is happening) is 112 + 90 and 112-90 degrees.  112+90 is complicated to explain how to correct for being>180, so just worry about the 112-90 and then subtract that from 180 to get its equivalent angle (longitude) on the eastern hemisphere.

Phoenix does not have an ocean so has no tides.  And the line of the tides is not truly equal to a longitude, but for teaching purposes, it is simpler and good enough.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Well, I just can't imagine why, Phoenix is like flat desert.

Means 90 degree in longitude east or west difference would  be high tides.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.