Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

Can You completely remove Water Boiler from the House?

I planning to buy a Condo but the problem is it has a water boiler for heater, I don't need any water boiler or any other source of heater. also My real estate agent told me that water boiler are expensive and he is telling me that it is not a good choice.

So My question is can I completely remove water boiler, so that I wouldn't have to pay any monthly fee for heater as well as replacement fee if the machine breaks down.

This is a Condo not a Family home

You'd have to check with your condo people. It's possible- I've done it, but on my own place. Installed a propane heater. Now have heat pump.

What will be your source of hot water and heat?

You can simply turn off any heater, saving the operating expense, and possibly drain it to avoid any future leaks, but having it there when you need to sell the place some day.

"Condo" is a type of ownership, not a type of structure. For instance, it can be an apartment (in a building with others) or a separate dwelling. Not that it matters.

Local laws will determine whether you are required to have a central source of heat or hot water.  Since we have no idea where you live, we cannot guess what laws and regulations they might have there and whether you are permitted to remove what you have.I know someone who "heats" with a wood stove and stupidly removed and discarded her electric baseboard radiators.  Her Realtor® says the house no longer qualifies with any "habitable" space, for purpose of listing it for sale.

If it is a condo, you are subject to the Rules of the owner's association.  Those Rules probably prohibit changes to basic features, but you'll have to check them to be sure.

Depends on your local code and your lease. You can generally do what you like when you are living there, but the problem arises if you want to sell. In my part of the world a buyer would not be able to get a mortgage on a property that did not have hot water laid on. The law requires that here must be a suitable installation for the 'provision of heated wholesome water.' 

if you don’t need heat you can simply just turn it off, the condo unit will probably need a source of heat for you to eventually resell it

your real estate agents opinion differs from most as water boilers are generally more efficient than forced air units

How exactly would you heat the place? 

• Nuff Sed
      3 weeks agoReport

Not everyone lives in places that actually need to be heated.

I think you should look for a different condo. You should not remove the units heater. 

Is it physically possible to remove it? Sure. You can do almost anything if you can pay for it.

The condo management or strata council might have something to say about it, since they control at least some of what happens inside the building, and where I live a home must, by law, have a source of heat. I don't know what kind of laws they have where you live.