I CANT WRITE MY OWN SONGS?

So im 23 years old and i have been doing Karaoke for about 5 years. Singing is just one of my hobbies. But every week people tell me im amazing and i should go to all differant singing contests and stuff.

i done a few covers of some songs but im at the point now where i want to write my own lyrics. ive been using instrumentals off youtube to practice but i just cant do it.

its like i mentally cannot proccess words that ryhme. i have no clue if this is something to do with my ADHD but every time i write some, it will take me half an hour to think of 4 lines and i cant help but look at it and think its rubbish, and then give up.

Is there anyone out there that can give me some tips on songwriting please?

i do apologise for the bad spelling

• Me2

Songwriting has nothing to do with vocal ability.

A couple of quite true statements made earlier are "you have to be prepared to write lots ... that you just end up throwing away" and "Study...Study...Study...".  Understand grammar and sentence structure, and use them.  Read good writing, both moving lyrics and compelling literature, making an effort to learn why they are effective.

Author Larry Niven wrote for TEN YEARS without selling anything, and became one of the greatest writers in a difficult genre.  Having trouble early on means very little.

Three excellent books that I recommend to every songwriter are Sheila Davis's The Craft of Lyric Writing, The Songwriter's Idea Book, and Successful Lyric Writing (an actual course), which are required reading in songwriting classes.

Songs are music and lyrics, and some composers can do both.  Others form partnerships, with each skilled in one aspect or the other.  If you take some music studies and find you're good at that part, work with another writer with weak musical abilities.

Although I write good lyrics, they don't come naturally to me.  I take a craftsman's approach that begins with planning, outlining the plot of the song but staying light on detail.  Writing is easier when I know what I'm writing about.

I try as much as possible to make every word count (Strunk's rule 17, "Omit needless words."), although exact word choice depends on the rhythm of the line, and I keep padding to a minimum.  I use a separate pad for each verse, bridge, the chorus, and extras, never erase but cross out with a single line (I might still want to use it, maybe elsewhere), and try to write more material than I need.

It's possible that "lyricist" will never apply to you, but it's far too early to make any kind of prediction.  Better to assume that you WILL be able at some point, and that your present inability is meaningless.

[ EDIT — Another poster writes, "Not that your mindset should be 'I'm doing this so I can make good lyrics'"  That's exactly my "mindset".  I have no interest in songwriting as personal revelation; my lyrics reflect my ability and effort.  As Darryl Lenox said, "You know who cares less about your problems than you do? Everybody." ]

• Tony B

I doubt this will actually be much help at all, sorry.

I've written a few songs and I find lyrics really difficult. There's no doubt that some people have a talent for it but I think the main thing is just to keep at it. I think the main reason I'm bad at lyrics is because I don't try (really try) writing them often enough. 

I'd also say that whatever you're writing - lyrics, songs, poems, stories - you have to be prepared to write lots and lots of poor stuff that you just end up throwing away. That's how you get better at it.

To me, the key to your problem is something you've said yourself: “[you] then give up”. I've done the same thing lots of times but that doesn't get many songs written! If you want to write lyrics than you just have to keep at it.

I couldn't really write a set of lyrics without having some musical ideas too. When I'm messing about on guitar and get something I like the sound of I can sometimes come up with some words that seem to fit. What I have done a couple of times though is to try writing a couple of extra verses to a song I already knew and liked. With time I can end up with a completely new set of lyrics. Then, I just write a new tune to go with them and end up with an original song.

Whatever you find that works for you but it's like learning to swim, ride a bicycle or drive a car - you must keep working at it.

Good luck.

Well your songs don't have to rhyme you know. 

Study music theory, study music composition, study creative writing, study poetry. 

Be come more cultured and experienced to get ideas as well as reflective of your own emotions. (Not that your mindset should be 'I'm doing this so I can make good lyrics' but 'I'm going to put my 'heart and soul' into this'. Then hopefully you'll have some experiences that inspire your song writing. 

Take a class in composition.

If you’re good enough to be successful, you can hire people to write them for you. 

• So much irrelevant information.... get to the point

JUMALAUTA SAATANA

ET OLE KAUAA KOTIKUNTUJENI ALLA

PERKELE!

hoos dll write song for u cxuz trhis

lyrics:

yo im hood and i luyv my hood hood so amrt u so hood we so hood yo barber defiitely aint good! hood i got a cut from yo hood and they cuit from my hood and they cut from the hood and the hood cut from the hodo and the hodo nodo mojo joj lolo hoho did a good blowblow blowblow hood toy