Is everything a salad?

Okay listen. I m not crazy.

I believe, that by the definition of salad that we have created as a society, you CAN call everything a salad.

For example, salad can basically have anything in it, as long as there is some form of greens, and be called a salad. Then there is fruit salad, which doesn t contain greens, so we call it fruit salad.

By this, guacamole is avocado salad. Pizza sauce is tomato salad. Ice cream is cold-milk salad.

Then, regular foods like pizza and burgers. There is bread in salad, croutons. Pizza and burgers, if they contain greens, are salads. Without greens, they are meat salad and cheese-bread salad.

I AM NOT CRAZY. Can somebody please tell me I m not crazy, my family will not subscribe to my salad beliefs and they have shamed me away from the dinner table. Everything is a salad, I m right, right?

• Favorite Answer

Yes, now be a good boy and eat that donut salad

• Maybe if you can toss it.

I believe that most things are a MIX

• denise

In theory yes, but the plates / collections of ingredients can be called different names, like ;- Medley, Hash, Mix, Combinations, for example.

Nope. Guacamole is a sauce. Avacado salad is sliced avacado. You just want to annoy people so I doubt you care

• guacamole is not a sauce, groovy_unicorn. you're out of line.

• IvaB

Time to get over the "salad" obsession don't you think ?

• Jen

You're overthinking this. A salad is defined as a mixture of small pieces of food. Which would exclude pizza and burgers. When I hear the word "salad" I generally think of a green tossed salad, but I know there are fruit salads and salads made with meat such as chicken or tuna salad. Here is the definition from Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salad

No, you're wrong. You don't seem to have looked up any definition of 'salad, and if you did you have extended the meaning to ridiculous lengths.

• You're crazy. .

• Mark

No, everything is not a "salad", but  good deal of things can comprise a salad, and that has been the case for ell over 100 years.  Still, I just like raw greens for a salad, but I DO like "taco salad" and that is often mostly meat and beans. I am not so tacky to think a "Jell-o salad" is really a "salad", though. Sorry to all those Midwest folks ("prairie folks" in Canada, too) who do. Nor do I think that leftovers baked with cheese is "hotdish".  (Well, it kind of IS, but I would just not throw together all leftovers with some grated cheese and cream of mushroom soup, bake it for 45 minutes and call it a casserole dish.)

• Groovy_Unicorn
      3 weeks agoReport

Jello salad is just a dessert salad. If it's in a mould it's a jello mould. I feel bad for you if you ate anything like that casserole.