What did the British do to create sectarian divisions in Northern Ireland?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • larry1
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

They officially and by military force and still existing barriers blocked off the Scotts-Irish pro British occupying Scotts/ British immigrants to Ireland (since yr 1670) from all the rest of Ireland and the 80% of the Irish population that is not Scotch or British, and still do not want or accept the Scotts/ British occupying there.

The Scotts and British still occupying there have to live behind walls to protect them from overwhelming Irish who wish them to return back to Britain.

• 4 weeks ago

Nothing. It was the Irish that decided to declare independence and try to drag Northern Ireland out of the UK against the people's wishes. I suppose you could go back to 1690 when king Billy conquered it. But in my opinion it's ridiculous to go back that far. The divisions had always been there since the south of Ireland became independent. But what really heightened the divisions was the actions of the IRA that brought about the troubles. There may be a lot of glamorisation of them in the media but in the end of the day, they were just terrorists. People seem to have this strange idea that the troubles were some sort of British invasion, nothing could be further from the truth. The IRA kept starting riots so they could kill police officers (who they conveniently labelled "British security forces") this meant the British had to send in soldiers to keep the peace. Most of these soldiers were only young and therefore inexperienced so they did not handle the situation well and lets just say there was faults on both sides. Now the sectarian divisions are only being kept alive by self serving politicians. Though i can't say giving the terrorists in power has helped the situation.

• Spider-Man
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Not all Irish Catholics support IRA only tiny minority 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

They did not create the divisions

They maintained the divisions

• Spider-Man
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Ulster Plantation 1609 Penal laws British did create them 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.