Do I need to report to DMV a a comprehensive claim?

A deer crashed in to my car at night and ran away, do I need to report to DMV?

Update:

The repair estimated is around $3000

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

You forgot to say which DMV, dumbass.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

No claim that is filed under Comprehensive needs to be reported to the DMV.

Think of it this way:  If a tree limb fell on your car and you filed a claim under Comprehensive, you wouldn't notify the DMV of that -- would you? It wouldn't be a motor vehicle accident. Anyway, YOU don't notify the DMV of any accident yourself. You file a claim with your insurance company, and your insurance company takes care of any filing or notification that is necessary. Automobile accidents aren't reported to the state DMV anyway. . 

• 4 weeks ago

Nah.  Department of Motor Vehicles is only interested in: car titles, driver's licenses(meaning testing to get a D.L.) and license plates. And, as it is a government operation, it is "sluffing" off much of that, giving insurance agents the metal plates(or stickers that go on the plates to show you are insured), registration normally accompanies the car once sold and is necessary for insurance so they basically refresh the info on the rego into the insurance paperwork so it is all in one.

.   If you come across a vehicle in your years of collecting old vehicles and the paperwork is missing, then you go through the process of getting new rego by copying down the VIN number on the driver's side dashboard(most are located there)& TAKE THAT TO DMV who may handle it or send you to DOT (Department of Transportation) to begin the 3 week process to acquire a new rego for the car in your name. There is a process you have to go through (which is why it takes 3 weeks & you got to visit the Cop Shop for them to do a Federal check for Stolen Vehicles.  Then you also got to do some other "song & dance numbers" & pay some money sumwhere to somebody.

As for your dear deer incident, you report it to YOUR insurance and they"Tell you where to go."   In my area it is a  crash assessor center that looks over your car and estimates the cost of repairs. Meanwhile you fill out paperwork as it asks through picture diagrams how the crash happened and you show  what YOU saw and where it hit.(maybe because a deer does not do anymore damage than a large dog or really large chicken?  In other words nothing much, unless you were on a motorcycle...or a Fiat 500 or some other small car.  OLD Air-cooled VW Beetles just get a dent in the hood which is quickly pounded out with the fist.

. They may mush up the grill of your Ford 350 crew cab, but that is about it.

Deer's don't crash into cars.  They will jump over them.  Cars crash into deer's who are hypnotized by the headlights so they stand still.

Deers don't normally run away. They are in the ditch DEAD or bleeding...with many broken bones.

It is classed as a SMVA

Your comprehensive might be the part of insurance that covers that.  OR NOT.

It might be ALL YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to bear...financially. Depends on the coverage.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Does the shop believe your story? I'll bet the police already know. If you don't submit a report, the insurance won't pay.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • May
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Not in my location...  Yours?

That depends on where in this big world you live...  You forgot to tell us that.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The DMV doesn't care if you hit a deer. Seriously, why would they?

• 4 weeks ago

Call the attorney general number

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

i dont think so but id be more careful, she probably got scared and ran

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You should be fine unless the deer files a hit and run report on you.

• Eva
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Not to DMV, but to your insurance company and the police.

• Edna
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

In my state, it's not necessary to call the police if you hit a wild animal;  all you need to do is call your insurance company & file a Comp claim. You can call the police if you want to; but you don't have to. It might be a good idea to call them, so they can send someone to remove the carcass.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.