The American pull yourself by your "Bootstrap Mentality" is a lie.  Agree?

• steve
    Favorite Answer

It is not just America with that point of view.

In UK we have a similar point of view. 

But if there are no jobs you can do because you are not qualified then how can you pull yourself up?

I have been unemployed in the past and in order to get benefit you had to prove every two weeks you had applied for work.

I kept a record and during my time of unemployment I went for 78 interviews before someone said yes. That was soul destroying.

You can't pull yourself up by your bootstraps unless there is something waiting for you when you do.

The "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" mentality, isn't a lie, but it also isn't applicable to "all people."  Take for example, someone who has mental, emotional, or physical problems that "prevent them" from pulling themselves up by their bootstraps.  One of the reasons I don't listen to Larry Winget, is because he is extremely out-of-touch with the challenges that millions of people around the world face.  He oversimplifies things to the point of appearing "tone deaf."  I have no use for people like that.

I would agree. It's like saying to a drowning person 'Pull yourself out of the water!' The only way to change your mental state, apart from better nutrition and exercise, is to connect with people. As you have heard said, 'Together we are strong.'

when what you see, is what you get; then, a person only succeeds through their own efforts.

if all i do is count the change in other people's pockets, then i am wasting the time when i could be working to earn my own way in life.

when i count all of the negative things, and take a moment to remember all of the good things i have done; i am satisfied that i was able to earn my own living, doing what i liked for a job.

it is the philosophy of self-responsibility.

i am the one responsible for my own life.

and, i have time to practice "faith" as well as to use it daily in my life.

Completely ridiculous.

Obviously. Americans are nothing but slaves to the Federal Reserve. 

I mean, unless you start a business you're pretty much a slave 

in the sense that all Americans owe hundreds of thousands 

of dollars back to the Fed, before they even graduate high school.  

The Fed creates what is called Fiat currency, which basically

means all Americans must pay back more money to them than 

was printed. 

• Zirp
      4 weeks agoReport

not just the fed.... ALL banks do

i dont think its a lie

Yes, for sure.

........... (dots b/c have to make 15 character limit).