Do you need to detox from religion once you've left it and become an atheist?

Favorite Answer

It's an easy transition, a wonderful discovery... Lots of questions become answered.

It's a freedom from irrational, childish fears. 

Atheism is for mature adults.....

• poldi2

No, the freedom and feeling of relief was immediate.

I didn't need to.

• Juli

If you leave a high control cult like the jehovah's witnesses, you need therapy for life.

• Mack

Nope, you detoxed when you become an atheist.

• Amber

Depends on how brain-washed and detached from reality you are. Some religious are healthy but others are not and they get too intense. I find religion very confusing because none of it makes sense. I think your brain will need to get around it more than anything.

Absolutely. Religion is a security blanket, and realizing it is false is a loss. We humans need to grieve our losses, which is why you see angry atheists proclaiming loudly that God doesn't exist.

Depends. Some lucky ones become atheists BECAUSE they detoxed from religion. Others are still hooked; they understand rationally the idiocy of religion, and realize the fact that there are no gods, but still feel the need for the emotional support religious brainwashing, rituals and superstition provide. 

I always recommend at least a few semesters of college to bring them up to par with reality.

Is me suffering so much and being ugly and extremely insecure part of Gods test? Also being very suicidal ?