Nikole asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Any tips for teaching a lab puppy to stop biting everything?

Update:

Thank you!

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Try taking the puppy to obedience school

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, it is called TRAINING!  Puppies have been biting their litter mates since they got teeth at 4 weeks.  They see YOU - no differently, until trained (by you) not to bite you.  They have to learn BITE INHIBITION.  

Puppies also EXPLORE their world w/ their MOUTHS.  You have puppy proof the house & still keep an EAGLE eye on them - whenever loose.  Keep toys handy and INSERT into biting pup's mouth or distract (by clapping your hands) and switch out, what he is biting.Bitter Apple spray (pet store or amazon) can be applied to furniture or clothing to make it less appealing to puppy and can be applied to your skin, pant legs or other clothing.

• 4 weeks ago

Biting at furniture and corners in your home can be helped by keeping lots and lots of toys around. Dogs chew when they’re bored and while teething. Whenever your dog is chewing at something he/she is not supposed to (human hands, clothing, furniture, etc.), shove a toy they are allowed to chew on in their mouth instead. My puppy golden retriever learned pretty quickly what she was allowed to chew on and not this way. Biting human hands can be helped by dramatically acting like your dog is hurting you when he/she bites you, even if it’s just a puppy bite and doesn’t really hurt. Once the dog teeth come in, it will really hurt. Teach your dog that when they bite you, it hurts by making yelping noises and making it blatantly obvious to a playing puppy that it “hurt” you. Consistency and lots and lots of playtime to prevent boredom should help keep your puppy from biting things he/she isn’t supposed to.

• Abbeymeister
      Lv 4
      4 weeks agoReport

Also, while your puppy is teething, he/she is going to chew. A lot. Just like human babies, their gums are going to hurt and it’s how they try to make them feel better. Look online and try to find teething toys for puppies. Having plenty of these available to your puppy should at least help.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Jiggle its scalp

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Give it a chew toy. Perhaps a nyla-bone.

That is a plastic bone that lasts for a long time, and my dog loves hers.

• 4 weeks ago

I would take it to training school.

• 4 weeks ago

yeah.... give it an india rubber ball to play with. It will remove the puppy teeth a lot faster

• 4 weeks ago

I recently went through this with my puppy. It is best not to punish them as it is natural during the teethy period. Something you should do is next time you see this behavior simply give them something else to chew on. This diverts the behavior without giving them conflicting signals. Somethings that also help are bully sticks and deer antlers. (sounds gross but they love the taste and it will keep their attention for a while) Offer a bunch of different types of toys and avoid using your hands as toys. You don't want them to get nippy later on. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

give him something fun to bite on so hes not biting everything else

• 4 weeks ago

Time for Caesar Millan in my opinion, it may take a lot of work, young labs get bored and start chewing, they just do it. Outside of getting chew toys for the boredom, when they are old enough to run, they are bred to be field dogs and need lots of exercise. A lot of people get them and have fun letting them "play bite" the problem is the teeth get larger, and the "play biting" begins to be painful, and you then have to break them of this.

• NO no no no no no no no no no no no no no no Cesar on a baby.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.