A question about English grammar?

I'm studying English.

I have a question about English.

Is it possible that the phrase "these clothes" means "a piece of clothing"?

Thanks in advance.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

By the way, it's "an article of clothing." "A piece of clothing" sounds like something that was torn off."

• Rain
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

These clothes means more clothes, a piece of clothing means one piece.

• 4 weeks ago

I really can't imagine any situation in which 'these clothes' could refer to 'a piece of clothing'.

If you've seen or heard it used that way, please tell us; it's possible there's some context where it could be correct, that we just haven't thought of.

• 1 month ago

No.   The plural possessive adjective "these" should tell you right away that what follows is also plural, so "these clothes."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cara
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. "These clothes" is a plural phrase, meaning "these pieces of clothing". If you want to refer to just one piece of clothing, you would generally use the exact word to describe it, such as "this shirt, this hat, these trousers, this skirt", etc.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i think it means more than one clothing

• 1 month ago

It's plural. It refers to multiple pieces of clothing. As in "These clothes I'm wearing are itchy."

• Lôn
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, that would be 'this cloth'.

• Lôn
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Of course....I was being sarcastic... everyone knows that cloth is the fabric or a piece of it. Clothes are made from cloth. In Welsh...
      Clothes....dillad
      clothes (singular)... dilledyn
      cloth...defnydd.

• 1 month ago

Ask a teacher how to correctly spell any type of word or maybe search the word on google and it will show the correctly spelled word under the misspelled word

• 1 month ago

There's no reasonable way that phrase can refer to a single piece of clothing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.