Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

I've vowed never to save anyone... does this make me a bad person?

First I've saved several people already. A kid from drowning, a guy from being crushed to death and a family from a house fire. But I never got anything in return not even so much as a thank you. All I got was grief and heartache. I guess no good deed goes unpunished. Because of this, I have vowed to never save anyone's life. Does this make me a bad person?

I think you ought to tell us WHY all you got 'was grief and heartache'. Those are unusual things to get from saving lives. Knowing WHY you got 'grief and heartache' instead could be a clue as to why you weren't thanked.

I've already answered this.

• Justin

I believe that it is the primary role of authorities to punish wickedness and openly praise good works, so that people clearly know the different between right and wrong:

2"Therefore whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves. 3For rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior, but for evil. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." (Romans 13:2-3). 

You should have been lauded very publicly for your good acts in order to encourage others to do the same, just as wicked acts should be a very public embarrassment for people. 

As far as the people themselves not showing gratitude, it should not come as a great surprise that they didn't, since they are embarrassed by their situation and also feel beholden to you and unable to properly thank you. That is exactly why our authorities should be doing it for them instead. 

i dont think so but youre not supposed to save people's life to get something back

I don’t believe this is a real question.

You are bragging.

You do not save a life for attention and reward!

You are trolling.

• Eva

Yes it does. You shouldn't be doing those things expecting accolades or praise. You do them because it's the right thing to do.

• Vicki

Kind of to be honest. I mean, listen, you shouldn't save people with the expectation of gratitude... It should be thankless honestly. You should do it for their safety, not for the thanks.

• Justin
      4 weeks agoReport

Why? Who makes these stupid rules? Of course people should be grateful when you save their lives! Are YOU going to reward the person who did it? How is society supposed to encourage good acts if we expect them to be taken for granted! No wonder so few people do it.