Lucas asked in HealthMental Health · 3 weeks ago

How big of an issue in mental health in 2019?

As far as I'm concerned, I just want to know about the details and what we can do to provide the therapy and counseling most people don't get. I would also like to know about how it leads to suicide, addiction, and homelessness.

As far as I'm concerned, I just want to know about the details and what we can do to provide the therapy and counseling most people don't get. I would also like to know about how it  may lead to suicide, addiction, or homelessness.

Favorite Answer

It is a big issue, but too many people confuse mental illness with unhappiness, lack of purpose, or plain, old-fashioned, temptation to sin, so a lot of things get called mental illness when they are really philosophical, spiritual or moral problems. I suspect that's one of the reasons why the healthcare system is overwhelmed  - many people are seeking medical help for problems that are not really medical in origin.

Almost everyone with half a brain in the entire world knows there is therapy available. Some people opt for it and realize they have to do the work it takes to start recovering. Other people opt for it and think a therapist has a magic wand, which is not how it goes.

Lots of homeless people are on SSI disability and they prefer living on the streets. Go out and interview some.

Therapy is provided for free all over the USA. In almost every county, in each State there is a mental health clinic run by the county and/or State. There are grants available for people who can't afford to pay and for the rest, therapy is provided on a sliding scale according to income much of the time.

It's not that people are clueless about getting help, it's that they don't want help. Ask me, i work with homeless and others

• .

Sometimes I sit quietly and wonder why I am not in a mental asylum. Then I take a look around and realize...maybe I already am.