Why do some people never retire?

Favorite Answer

Some need the money. Some simply like having a job and a reason to get up every morning and have something to do.

I've had senior coworkers in the past who fit both of those.

• Lili

My maternal grandfather retired at 65, selling his medical practice and an associated business. By 70 he was practicing again. He'd been bored out of his mind not working.  He tried volunteering -- as a doctor, he had a lot to offer -- but he felt that his skills were worth paying for. I agreed.

To have money obviously, but other than that it's because they like the procedure of it brings

• Joseph

Some feel needed, some enjoy the work, some just need a routine. Some need the money.

It's down to personal choice. Some people are happy to retire and relax, while others feel more accomplished working continously. I think it's healthy to have some work-required commitment in your life - it keeps you in a routine, you're meeting new people, and you get paid for it.

Some people just like to keep working. And some people literally can’t afford to retire. They don’t have enough money saved up for retirement. So they try to work until they’re forced to retire by their bosses, I guess. Maybe they try to get a job as a greeter at Walmart but there are only so many of those jobs to go around also. And then when they can’t find any work anymore, I don’t know what happens to them. Maybe they’re going to a nursing home or something? Who the hell knows. I guess I’ll find out soon enough. It’s a pretty brutal country, anyway. Lots of people dying in poverty while super rich people avoid paying taxes by keeping their money in offshore accounts in the Bahamas. And multibillion dollar corporations don’t pay any corporate taxes whatsoever. So some people have way more than they need and others don’t have even the basic necessities. But nobody wants to vote for somebody like Bernie Sanders who might make things more fair for people who could use help. Americans think that’s somehow ‘communistic’. A country of brainwashed, masochistic morons is what we have here. 

Because working gives them purpose 

Some people are lucky enough to have a job they enjoy doing and don't want to quit.  As for me, I'm waiting for the day I drive my last mile and can park my truck for good.

• out2lunch4now2

NO, dumbbu.  With my current job, I leave work and don't talk or think about it until I go back to work.  If I liked it, I'd talk and think about it all the time and would never really get a break.  I do have another career lined up for fun and $$ after retiring.

• Prince

SOME people refuse to admit they have MacLeod's Syndrome and won't plead the 25th Amendment. 

If I retired, I am 72 in a few days, I would die within a week of pure boredom. So basically I can sell out all my business endeavors and quit anytime I want to but I do not want to, it keeps me alive and functioning.

Unfortunately many simply can not afford to retire through no fault of their own or because they did not save for retirement the very DAY they got their first job (even if 5 dollars and work at Micky's).  

People chose to have kids they can ill afford let alone saving a dime for retirement.

Things simply happen along the road of life that leaves people with no money and no way to retire so it is just not 1 reason.

• atomic fireball

With all the stuff they teach kids at school, half of which they’re never going to use in the real world, why don’t they start educating at a very young age about the importance of saving money and how to do it? So people don’t end up in poverty? I think you bring up a really good point there. 

• Nick

They make the decision not to.

• Sam

Its a personal choice.

• atomic fireball

Yeah, many of them could choose to be homeless and starve instead. ‘Free will’ and all that...