Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 weeks ago

Monotheism in Judaism?

Discuss the evidence for the development of monotheism in Judaism, and ideas about God’s relationship with the people of Israel.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Jake
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Catholicism is the One True Faith and a person can know this with certainty by reciting the rosary every day with care and sincerity.

• barty
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Sounds like you want someone to do your homework for you. We don't do that here.

• 4 weeks ago

Anciently, Jews worshiped El, or Elohim. They used his name in personal names, like Ezekiel. During the Babylonian Exile, philosophers, not prophets, decided it was too bad that the god of Israel was not the Most High God. They conflated El with YHWH, giving the latter all of the powers, titles, and even women of the former. This was the beginning of monotheism in Judaism.

• 4 weeks ago

Or - and I know this is a crazy idea - you could do your own goddamn homework.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • EddieJ
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Your textbook might not give an accurate idea -- it may present it the way Christians might want to see it.

The ancient Israelites were henotheistic.  That means they were aware of other gods but they were dedicated to THEIR god -- the one who was their protector.

But, of course, not every member of a group is going to have identical beliefs.  Women, in particular, tended to hold onto a belief in a Canaanite fertility goddess in addition.

This pagan worship was thought to be responsible for the Babylonian exile.  And that is when the Jews adopted strict monotheism.

• 4 weeks ago

Early Hebrews were, of course, polytheists, as evidenced in so many biblical passages. Beginning in the 6th century BCE and continuing into the early centuries of the Common Era, Jewish monotheism developed in the same direction as did Christianity and also later Islam under the influence of Greek philosophy and became monotheistic in the strict sense of the word, affirming the one God for all persons everywhere.

• 4 weeks ago

I assume this is homework, and that you have the appropriate textbooks.  I don't know how long your answer needs to be, but just think on the earlier texts where there are mentions of opposing gods as well as the multiple Abrahamic gods, and how dogma merged most of them into one - and just decided to hide one entirely!  I would give more info, but the Christians on here get very uppity about the idea of those multiple gods - especially Mrs God ;)

• Jews have no shame when it comes to ripping off other people's ideas and art and they even rip off other people's religions, which explains how they started to worship a monotheistic god concept.

• L'nya
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Isaiah 43:10-12; Psalms 83:18;Matt 4:10 jw.org

• Edit: Sorry, Steven, I wasn't watching close enough. I thought it was Blade again.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.