How much do you need to save up to move across country?

I am really wanting to move across country from Ohio to New Mexico. I was wondering how much would I need to save to move that far and be okay with bills until I get a job.

• Maxi

At least enough money for a security deposit, 3 months rent and enough to provide for yourself such as food/bills, as without a job to go to you will find it difficult to rent anything

• ?

You would need to call movers to get an estimate on what you think you will need help moving.

You will need to figure out what apartments rent for assuming you are going to rent, deposits...?

Research what jobs in that area pay so you can get an idea of income.

Just figure on having about 5 months salary saved up. Some to live on and some for emergencies.

if you apply for resort jobs in new mexico all youd have to do is get there, they'll pay you for working and give you room and board, i did that for yrs in colorado coming from ny

• martin

You could travel there for $250 cheaply and arrange in advance to have a room in a rooming house for only $200 a week, then have $1,500 or more in savings for food and expenses, assuming you could find a job in about 3 or 4 weeks. So your total before starting is about $2,500.

in this day and age, you can apply for jobs, housing and move from the comfort of your home.

Start by looking where you want to move to in NM and see the jobs out there and how much the housing would be in that area then figure out how much you would need and save it

• Judy

What kind of job would you be looking for and how much experience do you have in that job? How much 'stuff' would you be taking? Do you have a car you'd be driving? Figure $4000 MINIMUM.

• Mark

Well, I personally needed about $2000, but got a job before I moved and also prepaid my first month's rent before I got there.  I suggest you do at least the first part, or else, you might end up flipping burgers and sleeping in your car.

• Nancy

It depends on a lot of factors. I once moved from Kalamazoo to New Orleans with just over $200 and a full tank of gas. I also once moved from Omaha to Evansville for about $56,000, the amount my company paid in relocation expenses to move me.

6 months of living expenses.  Figure out what that number means to you.