GERRY asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

cataracts and dogs. we heard that a few drops of water from a reverse osmosis system may help! any coments?

Do NOT put anything in eyes, unless a qualified vet has advised this.  

Developing cataracts is not unusual in elderly dogs and fact is provided the onset of blindness is gradual, as it is with cataracts, your dog will be fine.   The first, and last sense of the dog is smell.  So provided you are aware of his failing eyesight, and don't move furniture around too much he should be just fine.

• dornweg

verulam, ...why not google the topic, ignorance is NOT bliss.

• Ocimom

Don't know where you got that kind of information, but it won't help cataracts.  Talk to your vet what the best treatment may be for your dog.

having many dogs over many years, the same smaller terrier breed from various backgrounds, the one medical issue I never encountered with any of them was cataracts, they also aged without arthritis, remaining bright and active... I attribute the clear and sharp eyes to the diets I feed my dogs....gradually over decades I eliminated ALL feed manufactured and packaged for dogs  today using entirely natural whole foods....2/3 is composed of vegetables ...broccoli, asparagus, carrot, all lightly cooked or roasted, occasional potato... the remaining 1/3 is meat lightly cooked.......snack time is eggs, fish, cheese, pasta..

cataract is degenerative disease as is arthritis and much of aging,  I know diet is the reason my dogs eyes always remained piercing and clear.

• dornweg

https://www.vsp.com/eyewear-wellness/eye-health/cataracts-prevention........
      verulam......there is extensive medical research specifically regarding cataracts, their development and DIET in prevention..I would not show my ignorance as you choose to do, repeatedly.

Rubbish though vet treatment would

Yes.  Don't play "Veterinarian" when you are obviously clueless.

I have two Shih Tzu's that are beginning to get the look in their eyes, they are nearly 10 years old, the vet says that's normal for that age, he's not concerned about it, but may need drops in the future.

• Laura

It won't do anything, other than sting his eyes a bit. 

If RO water was a miracle cure it would be used in hospitals instead of actual medicine. 

The dog needs to go to the vet or an eye specialist. 

If fixing cataracts was as simple as that, no one would ever have them. Dogs or people.

• *****

Water, purified or not, does not help or cure cataracts. Nothing other than surgery does.