How do I excersize my Australian Shepherd while satisfying his in-bred drive to herd?  I won't allow him to herd our other dog, or me!?

• Ocimom

WHY would you get a dog that has a lot of instinct like herding or anything else and then try to change the dog into what you want.  An Aussie was BRED to herd.  By not allowing the dog to do what it was BRED to do, you can end up with a bored neurotic dog.  I strongly suggest you find a new home for your dog with someone that will let him do what he was BRED to do..........HERD.

If you really want to keep the dog mentally engaged, then work him in agility.  Tracking is not what the dog would be wanting to do.

• Jojo

Join a club that teaches Tracking and searching and Obedience etc. Its the dog`s brain that needs to be working at something, and not necessarily `herding`.

Many Border Collies and other sheep dogs excel at doing working trials and their inborn desire to herd things is drastically lessened if they do other work that involves using brain power. 

My GSD has a very high prey drive and will run after anything that moves if allowed to. I work him when I`m out walking him (2 hours + daily) in searching for small objects in the woods and undergrowth and reward him with a chase/ fetch game with a special toy, when he does good. 

Also I integrate obedience into the walk, especially the recall, and the stay at the sit and the down exercises. 

This helps tire  him out and satisfies his desire to run after things he shouldn`t.

In MY opinion if you do `herding sports ` with the dog it will enhance his herding traits and not change his habit of herding you or another dog etc.

Training him to enjoy an alternative like tracking and searching and obedience, or even agility will help educate his brain and tire him out more and may help curb his desire to want to keep herding things. 

Aussie dogs do need an owner that is prepared to  train and work the dog, and if you do not want the dog for herding, then a substitute for  all that cooped up energy must be found for the dog. Jmo.

Info: https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australianshepherd.ht...

I would bike. Its literally just running and running and dogs with high drive enjoy it

buy some ewes or Indian runner ducks obviously..........

Shepherd

Well if you want him to Herd but don't want him trying it out on innapropriate targets then look into Herding Sports. Go on Google and search for  Herding Trials or Treibball. 

• martin

Let him chase birds in a field. Give him room to run. Play long-distance fetch.

• Good ideas. We have a field but only rarely do geese land there. After some searching I learned that there are Herding Balls designed for this purpose. I'll give it a try.

• al

Get some ducks, he can herd them and it will be fun for him and for you to watch!!!

• Good idea except I'd be concerned he might injure them. Too bad I don't have a large property in which case the ducks would have plenty of room to keep clear as he chases.

Let him herd you