Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 month ago

How do I help a 4 year old with a serious lisp?

I just took up a babysitting/nanny job, and the child is very coddled. She’s a sweetheart, but she still uses a pacifier even though she’s 4, and so her language skills are very underdeveloped. I’m tasked with helping prepare her to go into Kindergarten next year. A big factor is her language. I have a hard time understanding her 90% of the time, and I work with other toddlers who can speak much more clearly. What activities and actions can I do to help grow and foster her speech patterns? 

Examples of what I can’t understand often:

She meant “pirate” I heard “viowent”.

She meant “Blair” I heard “Bee-uh”

So I think she has troubles mostly with her L’s and R’s, but these are just examples of what I asked her parents the real meaning of and they told me. I still don’t understand most of the language.

P.S. I know she’s four and I need to be patient. I’ve only worked with her twice now, but I’m just trying to think of things we can do that would be more beneficial besides just playing with her toys (which is still beneficial in some ways because it’s practicing the vocabulary, just not correctly).

Thanks in Advance!

When she starts school, they will probably suggest speech therapy for this little girl if she's still got issues with pronunciation

• Suzy Q

You can't. This is a job you're just not qualified to do. Her parents need to get her a speech therapist instead of expecting a babysitter to do a job that requires a specialized education.

You can't.  You are not trained in speech pathology, and do not have the authority to seek speech therapy for her.

Not your responsibility mind your own business

• Suzy Q
      4 weeks agoReport

The parents HIRED her to help prepare the child for Kindergarten. Of course they shouldn't have given the babysitter that task, but they did.

Of course the job she was hired to do is her concern. 

• Mark

Pretty much any kind of lisp is due

to not placing the tongue in the right spot

when speaking so get him into speech

thėrapy :)

. . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . .

A talk with the parents about finding an expert who can help with her speech. You're there to help get her ready to start kindergarten, wich means helping the parents understand what she needs to work on and how they can prepare her. Example:

"Well, now that I've been around her for a few days, I can see that she most needs to work on her speach. She's a very sweet kid and (a couple facts about what she's good at or something else she could work on) I think the best approach would be to make an appointment with her doctor and see if she should see a speach therapist".

• Linda

She may need speech therapy. My sister had to have speech therapy and it made a dramatic difference in her speech. Discuss this with the child's parents and see if they can have her checked out. They will appreciate your insight. Used to be a nanny myself.

She needs a speech pathologist.