Warm morning gas heater pilot will stay lit.but the burner not lit. Looks Thermostat or thermocouple problem, did not allow gas turn no?

Attachment image

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Edd S
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Cleaning the oxidation off of the coupling often works.

• In
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Turn the temperature up all the way.  If it doesn't light then the thermo-couple may be defective.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Warm morning. Maybe you need to turn up the heat on the thermostatic control?  Then it will kick on.  It is not meant to run when it is hot enough in the house.  That is how a thermostat works.

• Andy
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

If the pilot stays lit then the thermocouple is almost certainly not at fault. A faulty thermocouple will close the main gas valve and the gas valve to the pilot if it doesn't detect the heat of the pilot flame. Since your pilot is staying lit then the thermocouple is working correctly. I would suspect a problem with the thermostat.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

Probably the thermocouple has failed (a common problem with gas water heaters, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's also a problem with gas space heaters).

You are also correct in suggesting a possible thermostat fault.

Another possibility is that the main valve activated by the thermocouple has fouled and is "stuck" closed. (I consider this the least likely possibility of the three.)

I'm not sure how repair-able such a heater is, or if such parts are readily available for purchase.

You might be able to test the thermostat just by setting it all the way down (lowest temperature) and then slowly raising the temperature. At some point it should "click", probably you can hear AND feel it when it does. That "click" is the thermostat trying to activate the heater. No click: MAYBE the thermostat is bad. If you get the click then the thermostat MIGHT still be faulty but more likely the thermocouple is the culprit.

• John
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

The pilot flame has to touch the J or K thermocouple to open the main gas valve. Buy an electric space heater which is safer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.