Native English speakers, could you please help me with these issues?

Which is correct (to mention as topic in one's c.v.):

"Diploma OF English/Secretariat/Accounting/etc"

Or

"Diploma IN English/Secretariat/Accounting/etc"

• Bob
    Favorite Answer

Interesting question as both potentially are possible.

I would use the different preposition options in this way:

To describe the actual paper certificate itself, I would describe it as a Diploma of English.

"Is that piece of paper on the table your Diploma of Mathematics?"

No, it's my Diploma of English"

To describe a person, I might say that he has a Diploma in English.

"John has a Degree in Accounting and a Diploma in Statistics"

Does that make sense?

I would say 'I have a Diploma [from whatever college/university] in English' or 'in secretarial skills' or 'in accounting' or whatever the diploma actually SAYS.

• Cara

Here (in the UK) we generally say "Diploma in ... "

I'm surprised you have a Diploma in "Secretariat" - is this really the wording on your diploma? Not "Secretarial Practice" or something of that sort?

I agree with Richard about "etc." If there's something else, list it properly. Such as "Diploma in English, Accounting, Secretarial Practice and Flower Arranging."

• A.J.

"Diploma" is a sheet of paper, and a CV should be Certificate, Bachelors (Baccalaureate to be fancy Latin), Masters, PhD, or at least in the USA a two year college is Associates Degree. The paper is for completing a course of study and graduating.

The "of", "in", or a dash or leaving it out is for word flow and by convention.

Technically, it is a "Diploma of", but "in" a course of study English, Accounting.

That's why either is correct. "Of" refers to the diploma and "in" the subject.

Bachelor of Science - Chemical Engineering  flows well.

Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering is the official long title

I'm not "Adam Jones". Using a reference attached. What does the diploma actually say?

Bachelor of Arts in English - California State University, Chico

I am an American, and neither of these make any sense to me.  

Don't use the term, "Diploma."  Name the degree: for instance "Bachelor of Arts in English".  If this is just a trade school, say "Graduate of Secretarial English program".

What does "English/Secretariat/Accounting/etc" mean, and you should never use "etc" in a CV or resume.  

I'm just really hurt me when you can get