Anonymous

Is this possible?

My legal name is Hana Kim. I want to be called Lina Park instead. On my application for university/full time job etc can I write Hana Park instead of Hana Kim?

I am in the UK btw

No, you can't simply write your preferred name on an application. Idk about the UK as I live in the US, but you would have to appeal for some sort of legal name change before you can use that preferred name.

If the application has a separate section for "legal name" and "preferred name", then yes you can. 

No.  On any legal document, you must use your legal name.  You are welcome to petition the court for a legal name change.  It isn't that hard.

You must petition the court for legal change of name before you can do this. You will need a copy of the court order to submit with your application as school records, etc, will contain your birthname.

• di

You need to put whatever name is on your social security card (if U.S.) or government-issued ID.  Best way to NOT get paid is to put some random name on your paperwork.

no, these are legal documents and need your legal name. you would have to change you name legally in court.

• ..

It will not correspond with documents you need to supply, so it will not be acceptable.

• marty

If you put down a name that isn't your legal name it would be considered fraud in America. Being so childish about your name doesn't show maturity. Maybe you should just stay living with your parents until you grow up.

• Amaretta
      3 weeks agoReport

If she's an adult, she can change her name legally. Or she can tell friends to call her Lina instead. It's using a different name on legal documents that becomes a problem.

• Vicki

... I mean, probably not. A lot of places require your legal name. So like, it has to be the name on the IDs you can and are willing to provide.