Is this possible?

My legal name is Hana Kim. I want to be called Lina Park instead. On my application for university/full time job etc can I write Hana Park instead of Hana Kim?


I am in the UK btw

9 Answers

  • 3 weeks ago

    No, you can't simply write your preferred name on an application. Idk about the UK as I live in the US, but you would have to appeal for some sort of legal name change before you can use that preferred name.

  • 3 weeks ago

    If the application has a separate section for "legal name" and "preferred name", then yes you can. 

  • 3 weeks ago

    No.  On any legal document, you must use your legal name.  You are welcome to petition the court for a legal name change.  It isn't that hard.

  • 3 weeks ago

    You must petition the court for legal change of name before you can do this. You will need a copy of the court order to submit with your application as school records, etc, will contain your birthname.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • di
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

    You need to put whatever name is on your social security card (if U.S.) or government-issued ID.  Best way to NOT get paid is to put some random name on your paperwork.

  • 3 weeks ago

    no, these are legal documents and need your legal name. you would have to change you name legally in court.

  • ..
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

    It will not correspond with documents you need to supply, so it will not be acceptable.

  • marty
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

    If you put down a name that isn't your legal name it would be considered fraud in America. Being so childish about your name doesn't show maturity. Maybe you should just stay living with your parents until you grow up.

    • Amaretta
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

      If she's an adult, she can change her name legally. Or she can tell friends to call her Lina instead. It's using a different name on legal documents that becomes a problem.

  • Vicki
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

    ... I mean, probably not. A lot of places require your legal name. So like, it has to be the name on the IDs you can and are willing to provide.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.