Travis asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 4 weeks ago

Can I use my Texas ID in Japan to buy Tobacco and alcohol?

This summer I’m going to take a trip to Japan and I was wondering if that I need to use my passport as my ID there or could I use my Texas ID

7 Answers

  • Bob
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

    You have to be 20 or over to buy alcohol or tobacco products and no, your foreign ID won't be relevant or accepted, although a passport would be.

    To buy tobacco nowadays, you either need to go to a specialist tobacco shop, a convenience store or use a vending machine. Some supermarkets also have a small selection of smokes. For the vending machines, you need a special card that proves you're old enough so that's not an option. In a store, if you look young, they may well ask because it's against the law for them to sell such products to a minor.

    If you don't look so young, you may get away with it. It'll really depend on the staff member at the cash register that day. That said, they almost certainly will speak minimal English and may well think it's too much hassle to even try to card you so chances are that you'd get away with it.

    When buying tobacco in a conbini, you will be asked to tap the screen of a device on the counter that confirms YES, I AM OVER 20. If they just point to the screen, tap it and be done with it; that will be the extent of their age check.

    That said, if you're too young to buy alcohol in Japan, presumably that's also true in the US?

    And... don't hate me for being a concerned dad... but....please don't smoke! I smoked for many many years and finally gave up a few years ago after trying and trying for so long. It's expensive and has no positive benefits at all. This is the time to say a firm NO to tobacco, before it gets its teeth into you. Smoke weed instead if you have to smoke something! (But not in Japan obviously!)

    • Travis4 weeks agoReport

      That’s the only downside to Japan haha before I was actually considering going to Amsterdam for that specific reason haha

  • 3 weeks ago

    Use passport as an ID.

  • Quinn
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

    Unless you look like a child (or in fact you are one), no one who sells tobacco or alcohol is going to card you in Japan. You don't seem to understand that they sell beer and liquor out of vending machines.

  • 4 weeks ago

    Somebody can buy Tobacco and alcohol as long as you are at least 20 or over in Japan.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

    No, you can't. A passport is your valid ID there.

  • John
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    In a more general way.  Your Texas ID is worth exactly zip once you cross the US border to anywhere. Legally. Inside the US Vermont recognizes Texas and talks to them as needed. In Japan you don't legally exist, meaning there is no record of you. Your passport is your ID for absolutely everything outside of America.

  • Frank
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

    If they can be bothered to READ the ENGLISH and DATE format at are ahead of the game. They probably WILL NOT GIVE ONE RAT'S asswipe about you...cause you are NOT JAPANESE and they will not get in trouble if they sell you anything. They know you are not a "plant" to set them up for selling things to underage people.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.