Can you get your period 8 or 9 days past ovulation?

I tested positive using ovulation test strips on November 4th and 5th which means I likely ovulated on the 6th. This morning I got my period I believe.

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

You can if you have an unusually short luteal phase. If you're currently TTC and notice that your luteal phase tends to be 8-9 days consistently, I'd suggest consulting with a fertility specialist as you may have luteal phase deficiency.

Yes, it's possible to have a shorter than normal luteal phase.  Or, more likely, simply ovulated earlier than thought.  Ovulation tests don't tell you ovulation.  They tell you when there's an LH surge, which may or may not trigger ovulation.   As a result, you can get "positive" OPKs when not ovulating. 

• Tulip

Ok thanks for sharing

• Pippin

A very short luteul phase isn't common, but it can and does happen. (It's a fairly common cause of infertility.)

• Jose

Of course.

There are a litany of reasons (some unexplained) for variations in menstrual cycle.