Is it safe for the house to leave it without heat in the winter when I go away? ?

I have a small house with no basement, just crawl space. Is it better to leave heat on when I go away for some months? I would prefer to drain all the pipes but don't want the house to suffer for lack of heat. Any advice is most appreciated!

Update:

There is water in the heating pipes. 

Update 2:

Should I just drain all the other pipes except the heating pipes (to avoid burst pipes)?  Or is it ok/safe for house to drain heating pipes to and not have any heat for some months?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Worst case is exposed pipes may freeze and break if temps get that cold.

Insulated plumbing wrap usually solves that.

• 3 weeks ago

It's much easier to leave the heating on a low setting. This will stop pipes freezing and prevent condensation. 10C/50F would be fine.

• 3 weeks ago

We winter in Florida and after a few years learned:  although it must get well below freezing for the inside of the house to go below 40,  the house gets musty, mildew forms and even mold . . . . wallpaper tends to come loose and neighbors say they've had damaged plaster and paint . . . . electronics like the tv, stereo etc can deteriorate, controls corrode, ice forms in the attic, windows warp, etc, etc. etc.  

all--in--all, it's better for the house and contents to keep it heated - - not necessary to be warmer than 45 or 50 degrees or so - - - - unless it goes to 20 below zero, the cost to keep the house at that level is not too bad.

And . . . you clean-out the 'fridge, but leave it closed and turned-on to the warmest setting:  otherwise you'll get vermin in it and compressor & wiring will suffer.

Turn-off the water main & hot water tank and water softener if  you have one.  Our cable company let's us go "on vacation" once a year with no charge for internet & tv.

• 3 weeks ago

The heating pipes need to be drained as well.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Make sure the pipes and hot water tanks and all are completely drained and it should be no problem. Get a GOOD plumber to do it for you at least the first time. He should use compressed air to blow out the pipes that can't drain naturally.

• 3 weeks ago

if there is no water in the pipes then you can leave the heat off.

just let the whole house heat up for about a day before using any electronics (as the temperature change can damage them due to moisture)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.