Am I wrong for telling roommate/friend no when he asks for a ride at 2am?

My friend/roommate had surgery on his leg about a month ago.Now he is out of pain pills and is in severe pain.He doesnt drive and begged me to take him at 2am to pick up his friend give her a ride home and she will give him 3 pain pills.I said no he said I am not his friend.am I wrong for saying no?

• Edna

No; you weren't wrong for saying "no". It's 2 a.m., for gosh sakes!  If he still needed to take pain pills, he wouldn't have let himself run out. Tell him to call his friend, and his friend can pick up 3 pain pills (where from?) and bring them to him.

If your roommate had surgery on his leg about a month ago, he wouldn't still be in such extreme pain that he's going to be in agony if he doesn't get a pain pill. He doesn't NEED a pain pill - he just wants to get his paws on some & take them because he likes the way they make him feel. 

• Foofa

No, you could have saved his life. Remind him that only drugs prescribed by a doctor are safe and that people die every day from taking what they think is Vicodin or Oxycodone but is really Fentenyl.

You have given him the right answer.

I had surgery on my femur and a month later it was starting to heal, and i did not need pain pills. It still ached a bit, but not enough to warrant pain pills. It sounds like the roommate is either addicted to pain pills or there is something wrong and his surgery site hasn't healed properly?

You don't have to take a person somewhere if you don't want to. There is no law stating that you do

Tell him to take a cab or Uber! Hasn't he ever heard of them???

• Jerry

Do you work the night shift or something that you were awake and dressed and could easily have done this? If you could have easily helped him out then he might have a case that your refusal was unkind. But if your schedule is such that 2am is "the middle of the night" then it's not unreasonable to decline getting up in the middle of the night to give the guy a ride. 

Surely he could see well in advance that he only had enough medication for another 2 days and make some arrangement to replenish BEFORE the situation became an emergency? A lack of planning on his part doesn't translate to YOU being responsible for the subsequent emergency. 

2am? That's a big ask for a room-mate. Taking him to hospital would be an ok ask - but driving to pick up his g/f so she could go home and get painkillers isn't on. You could have offered to take him to a pharmacy for painkillers or the hospital.

• mokrie

After a month he should not need pain pills. You were right to say no. Your taking him to get drugs that is not his prescription from a pharmacy. That shows a doctor probably would not give him more.

• Will

Nope. He should have ordered more when he noticed he only had 10 left. Pick up his friend to give her a ride home at 2am so she can give 3 pills? Sounds like a lot of work for such a small amount. What's gonna happen after he has used those 3 pills? 

He'll want you to do it again. 

Tell him to order more if they are prescription pain killers. If not, tough ****. Tell him to give you money and at the very least you could stop off at Walgreens/CVS and pick up an over the counter pain killer.