Best way to pay to build credit?

I just turned 18 and I already opened two accounts. I was paying both accounts directly on the due date but when i logged in to credit karma it told me to pay atleast like 5 days before the due date. Right now my due date is the 1st of the month but credit karma said to pay it by the 27th of this month? Anyone know why.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

So that if the system you are using to pay doesn't work, you have time send a payment by U.S. mail.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Scott
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I always pay my bills on the due date and it hasn't hurt my credit one bit.

• 1 month ago

Because it gives you time to fix any problems if the payment doesn't process.

For example, what if you schedule a payment via direct debit from your bank account, but make a typo on your bank account number? If you paid on your due date you'll be late by the time you fix it, but if you paid early you have time to fix it before your account shows late.

• 1 month ago

As long as it is paid by the due date, it doesn't matter. Likely it is just to ensure it is absolutely paid on time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Will
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Because it could take a day or two to process and by then it will be considered a late payment.

As a 25 year old with a 850 credit score, my advice is don't even wait to pay off the bill. Pay your bill at the end of every week. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.