English Marzipan cake is now called Battenberg, according to the historians of this Era. True or false?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

I’ve lived in UK all my life and I’ve only ever known it as Battenburg. 

• Kate
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I have only ever known it as Battenberg and I am 70!

• Biff
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

I don't think the cake pictured has ever been known as anything other than Battenberg.

• 3 weeks ago

well, true there's that pink and yellow one which is normally made with sugar rather then ground almonds and there's another called simnel cake produced at easter time with layers of marzipan throughout the cake and balls of the delicious stuff on top. hard to find real marzipan on ready made cakes.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

It’s always been called Battenberg, though I have heard there was a call to change the name to Mountbatten cake during the First World War, just like the Royal Family did.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

My elderly parents have always called it Battenberg.  This English marzipan you reference sounds like a bland generic term.  A cafetiere is called a "French press," in 'Murika as they routinely mangle French pronunciation. 

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

It was called Battenberg in honor of the Marquess of Milford Haven when he married Queen Victoria's grandaughter. Never heard it called English Marzipan Cake, which sounds like something the EU would come up with.

• 3 weeks ago

I know that as Battenburg since 1970

• 3 weeks ago

It's always been called Battenberg in my lifetime, and I'm 67.

• Creosote3 weeks agoReport

Big respect armourer. I never knew you were over 80. 

• 3 weeks ago

True, did they make a hybrid or something?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.