Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 3 weeks ago

Does 2 Timothy 3:5-7 apply to Jehovah's Witnesses?

2 Timothy 3:5-7 King James Version (KJV)

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with DIVERS LUSTS,

7 Ever learning, and NEVER able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

I don't care for the JW's, but no, I do not believe it refers to them.

• TeeM

It applies to everyone who claims to be a Christian.

As to Jehovah's Witnesses, it applies least of all, because we strive to live solely by Bible principles and godly standards.

We study God's Word so as to know how to do God's will.

Trinitarians on the other hand, study but do not learn, since as one trinitarian told me:

"I know Jesus is God, so any verse that teaches otherwise, must be symbolic"

Yet honest trinitarians admit, the trinity isn't taught in scripture.

So according to trinitarians, how can the most important teaching a christian must accept, ISN'T EVEN TAUGHT IN GOD'S WORD?

.

It refers to Christians and Christian churches that pretend to belong to Christ but make no effort to repent and follow Christ and who cannot accept that God works by power and spiritual gifts to those who are faithful. They themselves do not experience spiritual gifts or revelation and stone the live prophets while living by men's interpretation of the words of the dead prophets/apostles. They are Christians on the outside but deny that God still works by power.

• David

Yeah, I can see how that could apply.

• TeeM
      3 weeks agoReport

Actually it applies to everyone who claims to be Christian, including you and me.

And yet trinitarians have elevated a man, Jesus to being God, talk about proving false to God's word.

Rom 1:21-23.  Talk about being foolish.

• sarah

My father always said, "that was the Catholic faith" They came up with precatory to take the little money away from widows and orphans. When it comes to JW's they do not go to war, take no collections and ask nothing of others. My spouse applied that to his family of Adventists and later Mormons. Just like the other article I read when every religion your not in is what you consider a cult.

No. Isaiah 43:10, 11, 12 does.

10 “You are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah, “Yes, my servant whom I have chosen, So that you may know and have faith in me And understand that I am the same One. Before me no God was formed, And after me there has been none. 11 I—I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior.” 12 “I am the One who declared and saved and made known... So you are my witnesses,” declares Jehovah, “and I am God.

• TeeM
      3 weeks agoReport

David, Actually it does.

(Acts 15:13, 14) “13 After they finished speaking, James replied: “Men, brothers, hear me. 14 Symʹe·on has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name [Jehovah].”

• Yes! Yes!

And I'd add that other biblical verse, too:

2 Timothy 4:3.

For the time will come that they will no longer endure sound doctrine, but for itching to hear, they will seek teachers in large numbers according to their desires.

I am not a Christian doctrine, and the word of God has taught us that I am the antichrist!

It applies to all hypocrites who claim to be Christians but who are driven by lustful desires. Right now, the JWs are being exposed globally for harbouring in their midst sexual predators who prey on JW children, elders not handing over known details to legal authorities. Lust also comes in other forms; lust for positions of authority; lust to be looked up to and revered. Well, consider the elevated status a dozen or so JW leaders have declared for themselves - they speak for Christ! To disregard them is to disregard Christ. Of course, that applies to lots of other religious leaders. 

Verse 7 is particularly significant, though, because JWs pride themselves on their great knowledge of their beliefs which, they think, comes from studying the Bible. They study their leaders' literature far, far more than every they study the Bible. They won't believe anything but what their leaders' interpretations state. They've even twisted John 17:3 to imply that it's taking in knowledge that matters, when it says KNOWING GOD & CHRIST is what saves - not a head-trip! Until JWs throw their books and magazines away and go straight to the Bible, their learning will do them no good, for they have never bent their knees in the name of Jesus, who is the Way, the TRUTH and the life.

• TeeM
      3 weeks agoReport

Interesting, and yet you, in striving to correct Jehovah's Witnesses, also 'CLAIM' to speak for God and Christ.

When you say: "Don't listen to the Governing Body, but listen to me, you have elevated yourself above all others.

Every Jehovah's Witnesses bends their knees to Jesus. 

Yes, I think it apply to almost everyone though. The knowledge of truth comes in our heart not from something outside ourselves that's why Jesus said "Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered" and the kingdom of God is within you. Most people depend on outer doctrine instead of the reaching for Gods law within their heart's and purifying their heart's. In fact most people deny that God is or even could be in them even if the bible or their equivalent say God is in everything and that without him not anything that is made would be made. They also think they can never be like God even though they were made is his likeness and image. Or their is a sin you can't come back from even though it say's with God all things possible.  People just follow their ego's and not God. Sin just mean missing the mark it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

Ancient superstition has nothing to do with the real world.