Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

How do you get people to stop trespassing?

So me and my two roommates, all of us in university and are female, live in a really crappy neighbourhood. There are a bunch of drug addicts who hang around, and in our back yard really close to our house we have a shed that has no door and the walls are falling apart. The drug addicts seem to think that it is an injection site, and one time one got so strung out he passed out right in front of our door. They also must pass our vehicles and we are scared that if we piss them off they might harm us or our cars. Is there anyway we can prevent them from entering our shed? The police never do anything and in Canada there seems to be nothing we can do to stand up for ourselves should they enter the house, even though we do have bats around the house just in case. And moving isn’t an option because we are all broke students. I’m just really sick of being scared in my own house :(

Favorite Answer

The open shed is a perfect hiding place for all criminal activities. You need to get the landlord to secure the shed or take it down. You might even ask the landlord if you can recruit some friends and take it down yourself.

• .1 month agoReport

We are boarding it up today. Thanks for the respectful answer!

• james

Check with city zoning. In many city's it is illegal to have a window out or a open or door missing. Take some photos with you. He will get a notice to repair or be fined. He will probably at least be forced to board up the door. 

For about $20 at Home Depot you can buy and LED battery powered motion detector light. You mount it high enough on a facing wall, probably just outside the window on the second floor of the house, that they cannot reach it, and have it pointing at the shed. When they go there, the whole place will be illuminated. 

Criminals do not like being lit up. 

I guess Canada's not all that it's puffed up to be?

Load a shotgun with rock salt shells. Not lethal and very effective. 

• Rick B

If I had a shed that was falling apart and had no doors, I would TEAR IT DOWN. Dispose of it. DUH!!

Get some motion-activated spotlights in the back yard. Get a better fence. Call the cops.

Get a large dog. An alarm system. A gun.