What do you think of the new tablet cash registers that the restaurants use to ask you how much you're tipping as the worker watches?

Favorite Answer

I don't like them. I like to have time and leisure to calculate what tip I'm going to leave, and machines put you under pressure.

For that and other reasons, I almost always leave a tip in cash, putting it down just before I get up and leave.

You have to be careful with the ones that sit on the tables.

I have almost been charged for using one for games when no one at the table touched it before the check came & we went to pay; there was a $2.99 charge on the receipt.

When we asked why it was on there since we didn't use the device at all, the waitress said, "Oh I'll just go ahead and take it off for you."

Needless to say, I don't trust that they won't charge me for its use so I always double check the receipt.

It doesn't bother me (the once I have seen it happen) because I'm not putting the tip on the card anyway. If I tip anything (which is completely optional, by definition), I may put it down on the table as cash.  Whether the server reports it as income is his or her choice, if they want to risk a federal felony rap.

I find it rude. It is no ones business what I tip

I think they were developed so that customers didn't have to let their credit cards out of their sight when paying for their meal.

How much you tip is your own affair. The server can't make any comments about it, even if he or she is standing right there.

i havent seen those yet, it might not be a bad idea

• drip

It doesn’t bother me at all. You can take the devise and simple tilt it towards you, blocking the waiters and others view. I have never had a waiter hover over me watching,

It save time and I don’t have to let my credit card out of my possession 

• Nuff Sed
      4 weeks agoReport

You are also under no obligation to put your tip, let alone any suggested tip, on the credit card.

• susan

I have not experienced the worker remaining at the table and watching while I select my tip. If your waiter did this, he or she may have intended to be available to help as you navigated the unfamiliar technology. 

I don't enjoy change or using technology, so I am not a fan of these new tablets. Not all restaurants have them yet, so when I arrive and see one on the table, I always kind of sigh inside because I'll have to pay that way. 

However, I am getting used to them, and after a few more times, I won't mind anymore. I'm sure they are the way of the future, because they solve two problems for customers. 

1) The credit/debit card doesn't leave the customer's sight, so the customer is protected from a dishonest waiter stealing the card info to make illegal purchases with. 

2) During a busy shift, the customer who is ready to leave doesn't have to wait for the waiter to bring the card back.

• susan
      4 weeks agoReport

I'm not sure why you made this comment on my answer. I have no objection to tipping, and made no complaint about tipping. The tablet on the table is for paying for the meal, as well as the tip.

I do not support jobs that involve gratuities. I believe these tips are not being fully reported at tax time.

• Nuff Sed
      4 weeks agoReport

In the USA that would be a federal felony.

I live in a country where tipping is not expected because we pay workers a wage they can live on. If you live in a third world country where pay is inadequate, I feel sorry for you. Tipping, if it is given, should be a reward for exceptional service. Why should I tip someone for doing the job they are paid to do? If their pay is inadequate, that is something they should sort out with management with the help of their Union. It should not  be up to customers to make up the shortfall.

• Nuff Sed
      4 weeks agoReport

Not enough people agree with you (and me) about tipping, at least in the USA, where some servers have actually come to EXPECT a tip, which is just rude.