Why didnt Officemax care about my college degree?

When I was in my mid 20's I spent two years working retail at Officemax, even tried going above and beyond, but when seeking a promotion, I got passed over for kids and even people who didnt work as gard, even though I had a college degree.

• di

Open your eyes and look around you - what are you doing at work? What are co-workers doing at work?  What are the "kids" that get promoted doing at work that you are not doing at work?  How do you interact with people - customers and co-workers alike?  Workplace promotions are not about a level of education, they are about perceived work ethic, leadership skills, understanding the dynamics of the workplace, etc.

Having a degree does not necessarily translate to having the skills needed to succeed at another position in the company.

• Rick B

Not really sure what you are asking. Just because you have a college degree does not mean that you deserve a promotion.