Jake asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 1 month ago

Debt collection ?

I recently paid SMUD $20. Receipt was sent to my email. A few days later, I found out that they sent the remaining balance to a debt collector and it’ll soon show up on my credit report. Can they do that? Even if they accepted my last payment?

Yes, if you didn't pay the entire balance, then they can send the remaining balance to a debt collector, and they can do it for longer than they could if you had paid nothing. If there is a remaining balance, then they can send it to a debt collector, even if you paid something. Paying too little can be as bad as, or even worse than paying nothing.

Do you have anything in writing from SMUD? If not, you don't have a case. You still owe the balance, and yes, they can refer you to a debt collector, and yes, debt collectors do report to the credit bureaus. 

Yes, IF you were late (3 times), or have an unpaid due balance (usually of 90 days or more).

I suggest you find the money to pay it all off as quickly as possible, borrow from friends or family to clear the debt.

IF you have no intent to borrow money, get a job, buy any expensive item (car/home/appliances), rent.

Don't Worry about the credit score; it is only of interest to those general needs.