a asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 3 weeks ago

Is it possible to have a flashlight that shines a black colour?

I once played around with blue and red filters on a flashlight and ended up shining what appeared to be a black light on the wall. But I mixed up the the number of filters and could not do it again. Do you think this was a dark purple or black light?

it was purple, black cannot be produced

• Vaman

Black is not the light. I has no wave length. Its intensity is 0. You can not expect black radiation.

To get a black light out of a flashlight, turn it to the off position.   Presto.  It's now emitting black light.

Important note:  Having any other light sources nearby may make it difficult to see the black light.

• a3 weeks agoReport

Your humour is for five year olds

• Zirp

No, black is absence of colour

What people call "blacklight"  (not "black light"!!!) is ultraviolet. Many materials break down those photons and split them into lower-energy types of photons of the kind that your eyes DO register

Black is not a color of light. It is the absence of light. So black light is an oxymoron.

Yes, it is very possible. Subtractive color theory. Cyan, Yellow, plus magenta equals black. Additive color theory: Blue + green= cyan; red + blue = magenta; red + green = yellow

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_color 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_color. 

.

• CarolOklaNola
      3 weeks agoReport

It's a trick question, what I call a bait and fish question. He does not want a serious, scientific answer. I go have a serious, accurate answer, not the answer he ir you want. If you want to argue, pay me a consulting fee. Otherwise, please stop wasting my time. 

You can buy a black light bulb, which will have a rich purple light to it.  But obviously a truly black colored light would be nigh impossible.