a asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 3 weeks ago

Is it possible to have a flashlight that shines a black colour?

I once played around with blue and red filters on a flashlight and ended up shining what appeared to be a black light on the wall. But I mixed up the the number of filters and could not do it again. Do you think this was a dark purple or black light?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

it was purple, black cannot be produced

• Vaman
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Black is not the light. I has no wave length. Its intensity is 0. You can not expect black radiation.

• 3 weeks ago

To get a black light out of a flashlight, turn it to the off position.   Presto.  It's now emitting black light.

Important note:  Having any other light sources nearby may make it difficult to see the black light.

• a3 weeks agoReport

Your humour is for five year olds

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

No, black is absence of colour

What people call "blacklight"  (not "black light"!!!) is ultraviolet. Many materials break down those photons and split them into lower-energy types of photons of the kind that your eyes DO register

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Black is not a color of light. It is the absence of light. So black light is an oxymoron.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes, it is very possible. Subtractive color theory. Cyan, Yellow, plus magenta equals black. Additive color theory: Blue + green= cyan; red + blue = magenta; red + green = yellow

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_color 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_color. 

• CarolOklaNola
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

It's a trick question, what I call a bait and fish question. He does not want a serious, scientific answer. I go have a serious, accurate answer, not the answer he ir you want. If you want to argue, pay me a consulting fee. Otherwise, please stop wasting my time. 

• 3 weeks ago

You can buy a black light bulb, which will have a rich purple light to it.  But obviously a truly black colored light would be nigh impossible.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.