how many stars are in the universe?

be specific.

Favorite Answer

1,224,735,648,065,637,635,965,784

This number is a extremely precise (specific), but not accurate, number of stars in the Observable Universe.

Not enough is known yet to even have an estimate about the size of the Entire Universe, which could have a radius at Least 3x10^23 times the radius of the Observable Universe (a number about a third the size of the number I made up above).

An accurate (according to the current estimate in Wikipedia) number of stars in the Observable Universe is 1 x 10^24 (a septillion). This number is accurate, but not precise.

By the way, the estimate of the number of stars in the Observable Universe, last time I looked (a few months ago), was 3 x 10^23, so it's about 3x larger than that, now.

• Joe

I'll tell you how many stars are in the universe if you tell me how many grains of sand are on this planet.  Be specific.    

Impossible to give an exact number because new stars are constantly being created.

More than I could count in my lifetime.

If the universe is infinite, there are an infinite number of stars.

• goring

roughly one trillion trillion stars in the physical Universe  without counting the stars in Holywood.

The calculation is based on the mass of our galaxy and the number of galaxy in the Universe.

Archimedes calculated the numbers of grain of sand in the Universe to be 1 x10^60 grains of average sized grains

Thus one trillion trillion is =1 x 10 ^24 so that would means there are more  grains of sand than Stars

Go to a Beach and count all the grains of Sand on it

Then Multiply it by the amount of Beaches that there are on Earth

Then Multiply that by 12 Trillion

Here or there

Think of it like all the grains of sand on all the earths beaches.

Billions to the 10th power.

I lost count when I reached 80 -- but that happens with old people .

That is unknown in general... meaning no one has the specific answer... not even the late Stephen Hawking.

There is also that concept of "countless" and I'll bet it would be harder to count the stars than it would be trying to count how many blades of grass exist on Earth.

• Clive

Lots. Nobody can be more specific than that.