Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 3 weeks ago

Will my lab/bloodhound run away when she's older?

I just got the cutest lab mixed bloodhound puppy... but it just came into my head that we have a pretty flimsy wooden gate. Will she end up running away chasing a scent she picks up? I have a german shepard that has never left the yard, but i'm worried for my new puppy. We used to have husky that would just break our fence and escape. I don't want this to happen to our new puppy..

Update:

I also want to add that it is a female runt. I don't know if that will have an effect on it or not.

Update 2:

Is there any certain dog training tips you have to help with this type of issue?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Probably. Unless you use a shock collar.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Yes.  I would advise you to get a better fence and gate before you bring home another dog.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes

Since you are too lazy to train the dog, too lazy to take proper care of the dog and leave it outside at all times unsupervised its better the dog is given up to a rescue

You even had another dog you never trained and left outside and it kept leaving the yard. Its only a matter of time before the dogs are stolen or escape the yard.  

• Star_of_Darkness
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

The dog, no matter how well trained, will leave that yard. And you leave the dogs outside so yes you are lazy. 

• 3 weeks ago

Then you have to fix the gate & fence so the pup cannot get out of the yard.

I dog proofed my fence line so no dogs can dig in or out & it is 6 ft high. Haven't had a jumper in a few yrs so I don't have the breakaway up.

Just fix it all so the dogs cannot escape. Shouldn't be too hard.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • di
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

We all might suppose that you will get your answer when the pup disappears, huh?  Either fix up your fence & gate, install an invisible fence & keep the pup's battery collar charged, or accept the fact that HOUNDS RUN. RETRIEVERS RETRIEVE.  German shepherds are guard dogs - they tend to stay home and GUARD.  All that aside, when your hound pup does run, she'll come back pregnant unless you get her fixed.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

I'd prevent that using a shock collar.

• Anna
      Lv 5
      3 weeks agoReport

A shock collar is there to stop a dog barking. It won't deal with it escaping. It should be kept inside the house and only let out on a lead to do its business.

• 3 weeks ago

WHY spend time "wondering"?  The likelihood of the dog or puppy [escaping] is high so get the dam* fence gate replaced or FIXED and move on to something more important.... to worry about.  (Like getting a good RECALL trained early.)

• 3 weeks ago

Highly likely but get on and sort out your fencing and gate now before the pup gets any bigger. 

• 3 weeks ago

Will she take off is she can - yep, sure as eggs are eggs.    Everybody with dogs should have them properly confined = GOOD FENCING.   Get on with improving your fencing before it's all too late.

I bet she's cute, but heaven help you once she's an adult.  A gundog + a hunting dog.   Sigh.   Why do people DO this kind of breeding.  Given how much work doing any litter is, I see no purpose, other than INCOME, in producing other than a well-bred carefully reared purebred puppy.  But then it is all about 'cute' = income.  If the demand stopped, then so should the supply.   And it needs to.  Were mum and dad scored for hip and elbow dysplasia - probably not.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

That's very possible, especially if the dog is not spayed. Secure your fence and make sure your dog is included in the family ...not just left out in the yard all the time. She'll be much more likely to stick around.

You should also make sure that she's well socialized and trained ...so that if she does manage to get out, she's more likely to keep herself out of trouble.

Microchip her and make sure she has ID tags on, too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.