Anthony asked in Games & RecreationToys · 4 weeks ago

Is buying plush toys second hand safe?

I have always collected used and second hand items. Posters, statues, neon signs, video games, action figures and the like. But this is the first time i'm ever buying a stuffed animal used.

What's the risk for it harboring any kind of pathogens and/or pests/bugs of any kind? I know it's a vague question, so allow me to give details.

It is a vintage 1993 Caltoy Sonic the Hedgehog plush. A rare piece to any collector of cultural kitsch. 

I bought it from ebay. It's shipping from Nairobi, Kenya. The seller said it was purchased from a curio shop and presumably, given the remarkable condition it's in, from the shelf of a collector. But that's a shot in the dark, as we'll never know.

The seller claimed that there was no stains (obviously) or odors of any kind. 

The tag implies that it is NOT machine washable, and can only be spot-cleaned.

Now that i've given some details, what's the risk? Any veteran-plush collector have any advice on the matter? Because I do not want some disease or infestation within my house, especially after the large amount of cash I spent on this little guy.

As a side note, just by the picture, it was the cleanest one I could find online. Most of the ones sold closer to my city were dusty/falling apart/had visible stains/pilling quills/etc. Hell, virtually all of the ones that were NIB looked nasty with age.

trust in toys trust

Wash them in soap and water and a tub like we used to do ours

As long as it's a vintage, there should be no problems.