Betty asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

CAT ADVISE PLEASE? cat was terrorized b4  i got him & I am unable to put him inside a carrier.  Do vets give tranqilizers 4 a cat like this?

• Ocimom

Not tranquilizers.  I would try this:  put the carrier out in the open with the door off.  Put treats and/or feed the cat in the carrier.  At first just slowly put the treats or bowl of food near the carrier.  Then move it closer each day.  After a few days your cat should be willing to eat in the carrier.  

When that happens, put the door back on the carrier and leave is open.  Continue to feed the cat in the carrier.  Every once and awhile close the door and when the cat is finished eating, open the door.  

What you need to do is to condition the cat to the carrier and show him that the carrier has GOOD things about it, not bad.

• Betty2 weeks agoReport

Thank but ive been unsuccessful with the method you were kind enough to give me. God bless your kindness❣

• Casey

Not tranquilizers but they can prescribe mild anxiety/sedative to take the edge off. However, they can't if your cat has never (or hasn't recently) been seen by them. 

• Casey
      2 weeks agoReport

That's not what I meant. I meant if you have never been to this vet the vet would not leaglly be able to prescribe you meds. since you have, reach out to them via phone or email explain the situation and ask about meds for preexam sedation. 

• Laura

No, vets do not offer heavy medication for an animal that they won't be able to monitor. 

• Betty2 weeks agoReport

Thank you kindly for your answer.

do not put him in a carrier by force. lure him there with treats

• Betty2 weeks agoReport

Thank you so much for answering my plea. But this method was repeatedly unsuccessful.

• PR

Feed the cat inside the carrier, every day. That way he will get used to it. If he is not socialized, read the article in the link:

https://www.theluckyfew.org/site/feral_cats.html

In order to treat a vet can give a tranquilizer, but you will still need to get him into the carrier, or put a collar and leash on him or wrap him in a towel to get him TO the vet. Some vets treat feral cats, and you can ask them, if you think your cat is not socialized well enough to be seen. Vets also know how to "scruff" a cat, once you actually get it to the vet.

One of our cats will not go into the carrier, although he is a normal house cat. I have not tried to get him used to the carrier, although this would help if I were to take him to the vet.

You should get your cat used to the carrier. For example, put it where the cat is normally. Then after a few days you can put it inside and then take it out. If it learns that going inside a carrier does it no harm, then you can put it in the carrier when you need to later.