Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

What happens when you have 2 DUI's?

My boyfriend has 2 dui's. The first one was December 2018. The second one was about 5 months ago. Today he went to court for his first, they tried to give him 30 days but he got out with community service and fines. I'm thinking for his second dui he might end up with definite jail time since they tried to give him some for his first, and it happened so quickly after his first. Neither time did he crash into anyone, the first time he got stopped for speeding and the second was for crashing into a speed limit pole (he was the only one in the car and there were no injuries) He's 21, has no other offenses, and hired a fairly expensive lawyer for his second hearing. What do you think will happen? 

We live in California if that helps.

I'm not breaking up with him. So don't bother leaving that in the answers, thank you. 

He needs an attorney big time and don't even bother saying "he can't afford one". He is looking as serious consequences and jail time. Borrow the money if he has to (but not from you).

Hopefully he goes to jail. He's clearly a tremendous idiot who needs to learn a lesson.

• Maxi

If the court wanted to give your drunk bf 30 days they would have don't it...there is no 'trying to give' and bf clearly doesn't learn so it is more than likely this drunk will get time

• blank

AMAZING tool this thing called google:   "According to California law, your second DUI offense is punishable by three to five years of summary probation, up to 30 months of DUI school, fines and penalties assessments from $390 to $2,000, and no less than 96 hours in jail. Additional penalties include license suspension and ignition interlock devices."

His cost of insurance will go up too for sure.  

Even a crappy FREE lawyer should be able to tell him this too (if you don't trust others googling). 

I don't know what will happened but you should seriously dump his ***.

He's a slow learner, your boyfriend. So he didn't happen to hit anyone this time- do you really think that makes a difference? Next time, he'll probably kill a family with 3 children in the back seat. Dump this loser. 

Does the "expensive attorney" know you are asking this here.

If this is the accident that was in the newspaper (and the circumstances fit) you are being very foolish.

I believe he will get jail time.  Remind me to tell you the story about how my Dad was killed by a drunk driver.  The drunk had 1 prior.  He will be in jail for another 6 years.  My father will be dead forever.

What do I think will happen?  He will eventually kill someone.  Maybe that someone will be you, a passenger in the car.

• Murzy

I think you should find another BF before he kills someone. He needs to go to AA but I don't think he will change. You will have your hands full with him all your life.

• xyzzy

Of course it depends on what state he is in. But in Georgia a second DUI is a misdemeanor. for which he can get between three days up to 12 months in the county jail in addition to a fine of $600 to $1000 Plus he must attend the DUI Alcohol or Drug Use Risk Reduction Program (“Risk Reduction Program”), a 20-hour course that costs over $350. (This course is also one of the requirements for getting his license reinstated by DDS.) He also will have to complete 30 days of community service work and participate in a clinical evaluation for alcohol or drug dependency. If the clinical evaluator determines that you need treatment, you’ll have to complete the recommended number of counseling sessions as part of your sentence. In addition to the penalties outlined above, a second DUI conviction will have an impact on his driver’s license. For a second non-drug-related DUI conviction (for drivers over the age of 21), the DDS will suspend your license for three years.