Will my warranty be voided if dealer put wrong oil?

Last August I bought a used 2016 chrysler 300s 5.7L hemi, it currently has 32,700 miles on it & it still has 27,000 miles of powertrain warranty. I took it to the dealer to get the oil changed, because I was afraid if I took it anywhere else they'd put the wrong oil & get warranty voided. Well the manual calls for 5w20. I told the dealer I wanted synthetic oil but to make sure they were using the one that the manual calls for. The guy at the front assures me they would because the oil cap says what oil needs. Well I got home & a few hours later I looked at the receipt & they used 0w20!!!!!! I called but they were closed. I plan on going tomorrow morning to get it fixed. Will them putting another oil cause my warranty to be voided? Help

Let's inject some common sense here: You took it to the dealer, so the work is covered by the warranty. If the dealer does something to hurt the vehicle, it is covered by the warranty. Even if the car had no warranty, and you can prove that the dealer was negligent (remember that receipt they gave you with the 'wrong' oil listed?) the dealer is responsible for fixing any issues. I really don't understand why you would ask this question.

The oil will be fine. Manufacturers list a range of viscosities which will suit the car. 0w-20 will not void your warranty at all.

Anonymous has the best answer.  You should select him/her.

But also you need to understand your warranty.  You have a 5 years/60000 miles powertrain warranty.

- this means when your car turns 5, the powertrain warranty is done regardless of how many miles is on the car.

The 5 years start on the day the car was first purchased.  If someone purchased it early in the model year (i.e. late 2015), you might have as little as 9 months left on the warranty.  If it was purchased late, you might have about 2 years left. 

• Abigail4 weeks agoReport

It was purchased in July 2016 by the 1st owner :) i am aware it has warranty until July 2021 or when it hits 60,000 miles whichever comes first

It more than likely will not void the warranty but everyone here is wrong telling you that it is fine to use SAE 0w-20. If it was fine then Chrysler would have recommended you use SAE 0w-20. Chrysler engineers recommend you use SAE 5w-20 and that is exactly what you should use and nothing else. 

• bo

your fine. if it bothers you that much then find another shop that will put the right oil in

RELAX Girlie, your warranty won't be voided. 0w-20 is just fine for the 3.5L Pentastar. Both 5w-20 and 0w-20 are IDENTICAL in performance once the car is up to normal temperature. The difference is how thin those oils are when the car is cold. The 0w component is thinner than 5w and lubricates BETTER at start up when the weather is sub-freezing, thereby causing less wear. Engine start is when most wear occurs, and the 0w will cause less wear in the cold. Got it now? Good. .

The 0W-20 oil is fine.  They just put a more expensive oil.  Call the girlfriend and have dinner.

• L.N.

0w20 flows better cold than 5w20. Once the engine warms up they are both the same viscosity. Nothing to worry about. Everything is fine.

• L.N.
      4 weeks agoReport

If the oil meets the API service rating it will not void the warranty. The rating is what matters.

Google around.  0w20 is a good replacement for 5w20, and when you call tomorrow that's probably what you will be told.

• Abigail4 weeks agoReport

I'm mostly worried about warranty. Later if the engine stops working & have to file a claim. Will they void it if it shows they put wrong oil in when the oil cap calls for the 5w20?

• Scott

It didn't/won't hurt anything.