Mydung asked in PetsOther - Pets · 4 weeks ago

My rabbit is eating his litter!! Why?

My rabbit just start eating his litter since this week. He never did this before. We always give him a lot of hay and he loves it! The litter I use is aspen shavings from living world. Is it dangerous for my rabbit to eat it? 

Is your rabbit actually ingesting the shavings? Or just chewing on it and then dropping it? He could be just playing with it or trying to trim down his teeth with it. Make sure he has chemical-free, wood toys to play with (not random wood from outside that could have bad bacteria on it). If you’re really worried about it, maybe switch out your litter for Timothy hay. That’s what I use. Gross as it is to us people, rabbits actually like to munch hay while they go. They won’t eat soiled hay, so if your rabbit has peed/pooed on the hay, he probably won’t eat it. Just keep a fresh top layer of hay in the litter box every day and clean it out every 3-4 days. Your rabbit will be happier, hay is cheaper than wood shavings, and you don’t have to worry about it if your rabbit starts munching it.

I don't know, but I too can only eat so many veggies before I go off the rails.