An item is priced at $13.57. If the sales tax is 8%,what does the item cost including sales tax?   A.$1.09   B.$28.23   C.$14.66   D.$24.43 ?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Sales tax generally only makes the price a little more in the US.  So if any answer is correct, then $14.66 is the only answer that is a little more.  $1.09 is a lot less.  and the other answers are a lot more.

They might have been trying to trick you with the $1.09, as that's probably the tax amount.  But the problem asks for the total cost, not just the tax.

If the problem is not under time pressure, you can check your answer quickly in your head, by estimating that 8% is close to 10%, and so the tax amount must be about 10% of $13.57, which is $1.36.  Or if you are standing in line in the store and want a closer estimate, then multiply $13.57 by 8, which means doubling it three times.  $13.57 is about $13.50, which doubled once is 27.  Doubled the second time, 54.  Doubled the third time, 108.  So expect a tax of about $1.08

• roderick_young
      Lv 7
      3 weeks agoReport

We're 9.25% in my part of California.  Considering the services we get, I gladly pay it.

• 4 weeks ago

Let me see, can I guess? [Terrible problem. One potential answer should have been $25.78 for the fumble fingers that put 13.57 x 1.90 in their calculator.]

Source(s): I love the new math
  • 4 weeks ago

C. .................................

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

Another home schooled drop out posting on here

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

13.57 x 1.08 = $14.66 = C

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.