Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 weeks ago

My uncle is an alcoholic. Are my parents wrong to serve alcohol while he is present?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Your parents are definitely wrong to serve alcohol in his presence.

Serving alcohol in the presence of an alcoholic is like putting $10,000 in front of a Kleptomania and walking out of the room. An alcoholic's urge to drink is as strong as the urge that you and I feel when we have to go to the toilet badly. It is an overwhelming, persistent, and ceaseless urge. 

• Tepee
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Yes it's wrong because it is disrespectful to him.

• 3 weeks ago

no if they are at their own house and he is there. But maybe they should not bring it to his house

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

i think they are but they probably figure hes going to drink anyways

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

Why would your parents be "wrong"? If a person has a drinking problem or used to, then it's up to them to decide what to do. Your parents aren't responsible for what your uncle puts into his body. Your uncle is responsible for that. And i'm sure no one is going to tape him down and force him to drink.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

That is a tough choice. I would hate to be in that situation. Pearl L. is a alcoholic and

we do not serve alcohol when she eats with us because she would drink all available

and then buy or steal more from the liquor store. She has been in jail several

times for stealing whisky and beer.

• 3 weeks ago

This depends on many factors.

Ultimately the alcoholic is responsible for their own behavior and recovery.

If being around alchol is a problem for him, then he can either avoid the situation or express that it makes him uncomfortable, then your parents can decide to accommodate him or not.

• 3 weeks ago

It depends. If your uncle has expressed to them that he is able to be around alcohol without relapsing, then it should be alright, but if not it would probably be more courteous to stick to nonalcoholic beverages. 

Do you know if your uncle feels comfortable discussing this with you or your parents? If so, following his lead is going to be best for his recovery in the long run. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.