On Ellis Island many immigrants were given new anglicized versions of their last names. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of doing it?
- Anonymous3 weeks agoFavorite Answer
1. Easier for Americans to pronounce. I still see international students doin this for that reason.
2. They want to appear and be accepted as Americans, that’s why they came to America.
1. Name changes make genealogical work more difficult.
2. It made it easier for criminals to escape their past.
- Spock (rhp)Lv 73 weeks ago
in the case of my family, it was necessary as our name in native language was written in Cyrillic [there are 30 letters in the Cyrillic alphabet]
- Anonymous3 weeks ago
No essay questions please.