Are there any programs/quizzes to help me choose what book to read next?

• Donna

Search and look them up.

Normally your brain would decide which one you want to read next.

the local library has shelves and shelves, rooms and rooms, full of different books; just walk around and look until you see something interesting.

it never takes long to find something i would like to read.

• Marli

What do you like to read? What do you like to watch / listen to?  What do you like to do?  You know what your interests are.

If you want to read a book in another genre or subject area: list why and why not, how much each point in the list means to you (scale of 1 to 5), and / or what you gut feeling is.  

When you go to the library, bookstore or online e-book service, look at the covers, read the promotional "blurbs" on the front flaps of the book-jacket or the backs of the paperbacks, read a few pages, read the table of contents.  If you like, borrow.  If you like and have the spending money, buy.  Not all books in a genre is as good as you want it to be. I might say on Goodreads or Amazon that I liked a book about the fall of the Roman Republic because I learned a lot from it. Another person hated it because there was little action and too much explanation. 

• Andrew

Why would you need a computer program to help you decide which book to read next? There are a hundred different ways that you could decide what to read. I've gone through stages where I would work my way through an author's entire body of work and read a dozen novels back to back over the span of a few weeks... I've read interviews with authors that I love where they talk about the books that inspired and influenced them, and I've sought those books out to see for myself how much of an inspiration and an influence those earlier books were... I've scoured the stacks of libraries and second-hand bookshops looking for anything that might jump out at me... And of course, as all serious readers do, I work from a list that is currently at over 1,000 entries - a list of books that I'd like to get to at some point. They're books I've read about or that someone has recommended to me. How could anybody who really and truly loves books ever be at a loss for what to read next? If I could live a thousand lifetimes I'd still never have the opportunity to read all the books I'd like to read. I'm certainly not going to agonise over which book to pick up next. 

Ask your librarian.

• Kyle

check out goodreads.com  that website will give you suggestions based on previous books read.

maybe join a book club at your local public library.  

or just go to amazon or another site and see the most popular book that month, and just start reading that.