Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 4 weeks ago

Is a pulse rate of 24 dangerous?

My husband is recovering from a severe sinus infection. He s always had a somewhat low pulse of around 50 - 55, but while at the doctor s office they measured it at 28. The nurse was surprised. So the doctor measured it again and got 30. Here at home it s been normal at times, but tonight it was only 24. He s getting dizzy at times when he s active.

I think he should be seen but can t convince him to go to the ER or at least a walk-in clinic.

Should I be concerned?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • marty
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Favorite Answer

Absolutly be concerned, health risks can develop if a low heart rate gets too low—a condition called bradycardia

One of the biggest concerns of bradycardia is a condition called syncope. It means a loss of consciousness (fainting), usually due to insufficient blood flow to the brain. A low heart rate can compromise your circulation. Your heart may not pump fast enough to keep a healthy flow of blood up to your brain and throughout your body. Fainting, of course, can lead to dangerous falls and bone fractures.In many cases, bradycardia is caused by problems with the sinoatrial (SA) node. This is sometimes referred to as the heart’s “natural pacemaker.” I suggest seeing a doctor as soon as possible. 

• Diane A
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

This is beyond a walk in clinics ability however

• 4 weeks ago

Sounds like he needs to go to the ER. He may need a temporary pacemaker and a work up to see why he has bradycardia.

• 4 weeks ago

If he is recovering from a severe infection then he needs to rest. If the Dr was concerned about his pulse rate then Im sure he would have admittted him to the Hospital. If he gets really dizzy and collapses then call the Ambulance if he wont go with you.

• 4 weeks ago

Yes, that's possibly a medical emergency called unstable bradycardia (his heart is too slow and he's symptomatic with dizziness) . That doctor should've sent him to the ER and could've been negligent of he didn't.

He needs to be paced or they need to fix the thing causing him to be so bradycardic.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

That does sound concerning, assuming the measurement is accurate. It's possible to get all sorts of strange readings on people with vascular issues.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.