Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 4 weeks ago

Breastfeeding and formula?

I have been giving my baby breast first so he can suckle what he can and then giving him formula to top it off so he's full and gains weight. Is that okay? (Every feeding is like this. He gets breast first then a bit of bottle. I don't mix my milk and the formula.)

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

It's fine if he's struggling to gain weight and that's what your pediatrician and LC have advised you to do. You could also consider pumping after feeds and supplementing with your own milk. That's what I did for my daughter when she was having latching issues and her weight gain temporarily slowed.

But why do you want to do that? If you have enough breastmilk then it is wise to feed ur baby with breastmilk only. But depending on your situation you could feed supplements and herbal teas too. As a mom I provide my girl with organic herbs with her milk. It is healthy and natural unlike drugged medicines. I looked up for Secrets of tea’s nursing tea on amazon. I tried it because its good for my baby and me too. Do what you think is best for your baby. Kudos!

• Juana

Pick one and stick with it. You're messing with his little fragile baby gut. Imagine eating healthy one day and then crappy processed food after, you're going to have stomach pain and your body will be working extra to process the man made stuff. Just pick one, please. If he's needing to supplement then you're not putting him on the boob as often as he needs for your production to increase. The more he nurses the more milk you will make, thus not needing to supplement with anything. How to fix this problem and switch to breast only? Now that you got him to supplement with formula, you should pump while he is drinking the formula. So now you're working double to get back to boob only, but it can happen. I hope you make a choice.

Im' not sure why you're asking us if this is ok. If this is your choice, then go for it.

• Pippin
      4 weeks agoReport

Unless of course she wants to continue breastfeeding for any length of time.

Why do you think breastmilk alone won't fill him up and increase his weight?   You will negatively impact your milk supply doing this.  You're not allowing your baby to trigger your body to make the correct amount of milk. 

Did the doctor recommend this for failure to thrive?  

If you dont have enough breast milk then topping him up with formula is great. Doing both is not going to hurt him.

• Pippin
      4 weeks agoReport

IF she doesn't  have enough breastmilk, the LC may well recommend supplementing.  But that means supplementing along WITH doing everything possible to increase the supply.  And what she is doing (topping him off after every feed) is NOT going to increase supply, it will decrease it.

• Pippin

No. This is really not a great idea in most cases.

You don't say how old your baby is or why you are worried about weight gain.

But there are several reasons this is not usually a good idea.

1. Breast milk is made in supply/demand basis. You want baby to nurse, even if it appears that he has gotten everything. It is the nursing on an "empty" breast that tells your body to make more milk. And with a young baby, if the breasts don't get that message to " make more" they will start making less and you'll dry up.

2. Bottles are easier for the baby and use a completely different suckling technique.  Baby will quickly learn that if he stops working at the breast, you'll give him the easier bottle. He may also start nursing on the breast like he sucks on a bottle. And again, this leads to less nursing and less milk. (And can make you very sore.)

3. Even small amounts of formula can interfere with the benefits of breastmilk.

4. It's a lot of extra work mixing bottles 10-12 times a day ...And a lot of money wasted if he just takes "a bit" from each one.

There are sometimes medical reasons a baby needs to be supplemented, but unless you were told by an LC to do this, due to poor weight gain or dehydration, it's likely to harm ...And probably end your nursing relationship.

Assuming you are talking about a newborn or young baby -- expect him to nurse about 10-12 times in 24 hours..He may nurse for 20-30 minutes at a time, maybe more. Some babies do better taking both breasts, some will take a single breast per feed. And he'll probably only get a couple of ounces at a feed. That's plenty.

He should wet at least 6 diapers per day, and after the immediate newborn period, at least one dirty diaper most days.

It's not good to weigh babies too often, but a typical newborn will be back to birth weight by 2 weeks, and then gain 2-3 pounds a month for the next few months.

• PR

As long as he will take both, it is fine. The benefit is that he will take a bottle from someone else, rather than insisting on feeding only from you. If you are concerned that he won't take the breast, just watch that he continues to feed with you. Sometimes breastfeeding mothers won't offer bottles, and then they can't leave the baby with anyone else. Additionally, a breast fed infant often doesn't sleep quite as well.

• Juana
      4 weeks agoReport

Complaining of not sleeping well is for moms who, for some reason, can't or don't want to put in the extra effort. Sorry if this triggers anyone. Just stating the truth.