Makayla asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Stray cat questions ?

There’s this cat in my neighborhood. He’s not really a stray. My neighbors own him, but he’s too afraid to go into their house. Not exactly sure why because he loves people. He ends up wandering the neighborhood and ended up spending a lot of time on my porch. I started giving him water during the summer because of the heat, and I also started to let him in my house because I was worried about his health in the extreme weather. I’m allergic to cats so I usually put him out after a while, but now it’s November and starting to get really cold out, so I decided to let him stay in my basement tonight. I’ve never owned a cat before. I don’t have a litter box. Will he pee/poo on my carpet? If so, how do I keep this from happening without kicking him out? If he poops on the floor my parents will be very mad. Can cats hold it for a long time? 

• PR
    Favorite Answer

Do you have any gift boxes? If so, you could put either sand or some outside dirt, or some bark chips from your landscape area in the box and put something under it. A plastic storage box will work, too. Be sure there is a bowl of water down there, too.

It is so kind you are doing this and the cat will be very appreciative. If the kitty is going into your house and not the house where he is supposed to live, they probably don't want him in there, or there is a person or animal who scares him. Keep helping him because it is very difficult for animals outside when it gets cold.

Besides that, there are animals who might attack him at night. Keep helping this kitty - it sounds like he needs your help.

• PR
      4 weeks agoReport

If you find the people don't want the cat or can't keep him, you can take him to an animal rescue league on weekends (at pet supply stores). They find good homes for animals and don't euthanize. He cannot be outside in the cold.

If the neighbors let the cat roam loose, it's a stray. Period.

The cat is fine. There are cats known as 'community cats' that live outdoors but are not feral. Something you can do is make sure that he is fixed and healthy. Feel free to leave out food and water. As for wintertime, make a cat hutch! They are super easy and can do a lot of good! 

Its not even your cat and its not your house. Your parents are not going to tolate you letting a cat that is not thiers in the house

Put it back outside and call AC if you are so concerned

• Makayla4 weeks agoReport

Actually my parents do allow the cat to come in my house. How you think you know more about this situation than I do is beyond me...Answer my question or mind your business 

• di

Leave your neighbor's cat outside, despite the cat's ability to tell you how afraid it is of its owners.

• Makayla4 weeks agoReport

Shut the **** up. I’ve spoken to his owners. They’re my neighbors. I asked them why their cat constantly scratches on my door and runs into my house. They say they don’t know and he’s afraid to come into their house. If this is such a problem to you then keep scrolling and mind your damned business.

u buy a litter box and clumping litter. cats who like to live outside want to get out when they want to. by keeping him in your basement by force u re not doing any favours to a cat

• Makayla4 weeks agoReport

Im not keeping him in my basement by force. The cat sprints in my house full speed when I open the door and cries when I put him out. Why the hell would I force a random cat to come into my house? 

• martin

Make up a litter box with torn, shredded newspaper. Give it a try. Be prepared for your parents to not allow the cat.

• Makayla4 weeks agoReport

My parents already said he can come in. They just don’t want him to crap on the floor