fukuda asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 month ago

Why does Japan try to place the US military base only in Okinawa?

There are many US military base in Okinawa because Okinawa lost in the battle of Okinawa. However, the incidents of the American military are endless. We want to reduce the burden on Okinawa as the same Japan.

• T

US bases in Japan used to be scattered all across Japan, like Gifu, Yamanashi, Shizuoka, the list goes on. Many of them were relocated to Okinawa decades after the war, in part because of protests against their presence in the mainland Japan and in part because Okinawa was still under the US occupation back then.

As you will see from a quick online search, Okinawa only accounts for 0.6% of Japan's area, yet there are more than 70% of US bases there. Maybe they were/are 

the victims of historical circumstances. 

Source(s): NHK Special, Japanese TV program.

https://imidas.jp/jijikaitai/c-40-103-17-06-g677

I don't get English very well, what I can say is that i support american bases in japan. since japan has been prohibited to have armed forces (only self-defence forces) i think others should take responsibility for our defence, even especially with the constant provocations from north korea and in part, china. 

There is one US military base in Okinawa. I know there's resistance to it, but if I were that close to China and had essentially no military, I want a strong force there to deter attacks.