Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

Smoking while unknowingly pregnant; will my baby be okay?

I’m 23 years old and I regularly smoke marijuana and cigarettes. About half a pack a day and a few hits out of marijuana out of a pipe a day. I’ve never had a consistent period; it comes and goes as it pleases every other month or sometimes longer. Since it had been about 5 months since my last cycle I decided to go to the doctor a week ago. To my horror I was told I was pregnant. I never thought I could conceive so I’m completely shocked. To make matters worse I returned to the doctor yesterday and was told I’m approximately 25 weeks pregnant. I quit smoking everything as soon as I was told that I was pregnant, but I can’t even fathom that I’m more than half way through a pregnancy and had no idea the entire time. I haven’t gained but approximately 15 lbs and I’m already a bigger girl so I had no indication as far as weight gain or a noticeable bump. My weight fluctuates as bad as my period. If it were an option I would have an abortion because I’m terrified that I’ve harmed the baby and screwed it up for life. Not only that but I’m a college student with a full time job. I’m not ready for a baby at all. Unfortunately, I can’t because it’s too late. The doctor said the baby was physically fine, but I can’t help but feel it could be mentally harmed. I’m so mortified that I didn’t even ask the gender or anything else, but I’ve accepted that the baby will come regardless of anything else. I have no choice but to accept the consequences and this child. 

I’ve also been honest with my doctor about my smoking cigarettes and marijuana. A friend of mine told me they will drug test the baby when it’s born and that I’ll lose custody automatically. I’ve thought about it long and hard and I’ve decided I want to keep the baby; my fiancé has convinced me to not consider adoption. My second question is will they take my baby as soon as it’s born? I’m in a non-legal state if that helps. 

• Pippin
    Favorite Answer

I have no idea where you live -- but no, in most states (even 'non-legal states) babies are NOT routinely drug tested, and a trace of marijuana would not cause you to lose custody.  (Where would all the foster homes come from to house all these newborns? The system is already overwhelmed with the babies of women addicted to opiates and meth, who are inacapable of caring for their babies. ) The doctor knows you have used marijuana, so it would be expected that a trace might show up in the baby.)

As for the rest -- there have been times in not-at-all distant past when about half of new mothers smoked cigarettes, usually much more than half a pack a day.  While there are obviously risks to it, (mostly low birthweight) these babies are not harmed mentally.

Research into potential harm from marijuana is mixed, but again, any harm would be subtle and far from universal -- so no, your baby is not likely to be 'harmed mentally.'

You have quit. That's all you can do.  Now, eat well, take care of yourself overall ... and no, you will not lose custody of your baby unless you are clearly unable to care for it.

If you STOP all illegal activity RIGHT NOW - then there is a chance that the baby's test will be clean.

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/marijuana-reh...

I guess I don't have to tell you this now - irregular periods DO NOT MEAN infertility.

I have been in your situation and was horrified thinking of all the things I had done while pregnant because I also didn't know.  The only advantage I have over you is that my vices were not illegal.  (I was a weekend drinker - so alcohol was my vice).  My daughter turned out fine.  She is an adult now and there have never been any issues that could have been blamed on prenatal issues.

Good luck.

Nope, that's the end of the kid but you can try again.